Key Quit Opening Lock

I have a Kwikset doorknob/lock on exterior of my out-building. Today I tried to unlock the door with the same key(s) I've been using and the lock won't unlock. The key turns both directions but the handle won't turn. Is it possible that some part of the lock broke inside? When I try a key NOT made for this lock, the key won't turn. My correct key will turn, but the knob still won't. I sprayed some penetrating oil in the keyhole in case a part had frozen up, but that didn't help. Any suggestions as to what might be the cause? I live way out in the country, so a locksmith would cost a lot. It would be very difficult to get into this building in another way. How would you go about getting the door to open?

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
grosz

since the key DOES turn, you got a piece inside broken that the key plug turns.. you need a new lock.. HOW you get it off is your choice.. I wont say..here.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

get a dent puller.

Reply to
billb

A couple of possabilities here. First off your strike plate could not be adjusted correctly and the deadlatch has entered the strike plate and is binding. If this is the cause you can probably insert the key turn it counter clockwise (to the unlock position) and then remove the key. Firmly grab the knob and pull or push the door twards the stop (close the door real hard) and then try twisting the knob.

The latch may have failed internally. If you can't gain access to the room by another door you might be better off calling in a locksmith to open it. It requires destroying the knob and if you are not careful you can easily scrap the door also.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

a 'big chain' motel called me once, door would not open, hadnt been opened in several months.. and I was not looking forward to destroying a $700 hotel lock.. then asked a question.. look at the DOOR.. was the crack between the door and the frame equal all the way around??

WHY, NO came back the answer.. hinges were on the left side of the door and at the top right corner it had a huge gap between the door and frame..

was a sorta new building, and over the winter, the foundation had settled a good bit, and just jammed the door IN PLACE in the frame.. cost them a pair of sawed off hinges to get the door open, and the builder was not a happy camper when he got the call. but it did get fixed.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Shiva's English sometimes bothers me. I don't know.. It's just odd.

It seems foreign.. Are you American Shiva?

By the way, I'd suggest drilling the lock and replacing it to avoid the cost of a locksmith. Once you drill the lock, it will be destroyed.. but the door will be open. From there you can replace the lock.

Reply to
Cyberdyne Systems Model T-101

What bothers me here is your "boastful" advice on this matter:

(1) Drilling the keyway won't release the lock if it's internals are broken in some way...

(2) Drilling the keyway won't release the door if it is binding in it's frame...

So far your advice will only have this person destroying a lock based on your assumptions which aren't backed up by a visual examination of the situation...

I would recommend he find some other way into the "outbuilding" if that is possible and remove the lock from the inside... If that is not possible than he can make a choice about forcing his way in and possibly damaging something or calling in a professional... Once the door is opened the problem will become apparent, and it can be appropriately repaired as needed...

I would strongly suggest that you read up on more materials before you offer up anymore "quick fixes"... There is more to being a locksmith than knowing how to drill out locks...

It is always a puzzle, and it takes problem solving skills to determine the cause of the problem and applying mechanical skills and abilities in order to fix it...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

yes..

you want 5,000 word answer, or SHORT and to the point? HOWEVER..in the case of this one, I would have it open in about 2 minutes TOPS.. and no drilling, BUT.. he needs a NEW lock, and I wont say how I would get it open, on an OPEN group.. this assumes that the door is NOT jammed as well.

(PS, EITHER it gets a LOT of use/weather, or its OLD)

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

on a RELATED note, he would have to know EXACTLY where to drill, because he has the key AND it turns the lock. meaning the cylinder is FINE.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yes

Question... Will the know turn a little bit further when the key is turned to the unlocked position? If so, it's unlocking but you can't turn the knob fully because the latch is bad.

If the knob won't turn any further whether locked or unlocked then my guess would be the tip of the spindle (behind the cylinder) is either worn badly or broken off.

Either way, if you can't get to the other side of the door some other way, the lock's history. (Use your imagination)

up, but > that didn't help.

See above

Have you called one to ask?

What do you consider "a lot"? I'd charge $55 S/C plus $15 to get it open (doing no damage what-so-ever to the door). You could always replace it yourself once it's open and save a few bucks.

Brute force. (Again, use your imagination)

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

IF indeed it IS the latch, AND the door opens IN.. that to me is a major fubar to deal with.. had a lady locked in an apartment once, only one door into the place.. and a second floor to boot , and it opened IN. it was not fun to get the door open, but she did have some tools inside and between us, the door was opened with no damage.

that was my bet.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

"Cyberdyne Systems Model T-101" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

why destroy the lock when its so easy to save it ? this lock in question is a minimum security lock at best. it can be opened without drilling or picking.

just food for thought:-)

Reply to
Key

was wondering who would catch that :-)

g'day Shiva

Reply to
Key

Hey, no problem. Just drill out the tumblers!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do NOT think that will help- the KEY TURNS FINE.. he will still be 'locked out'

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-#spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:A9Tve.55855$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

what?, and have to work through that little drilled hole :-) he already said the key turned the lock. there is a much easier way to just get the cylinder , including the plug, right out of the way.

come on now stormin, you know this...

Reply to
Key