Homemade Thread-Lock Goop?

i have a need, the only one in 20yrs, for thread lock and hate to buy a tube that will never get used again.
has anyone here come up with something common as a substitute?
something that can still be disassembled? thanks! --Loren
ps. it won't be under vibration.
Loren Coe wrote:

any mixture that someone makes will probably cost more than the small tube of loctite that you buy at any hardware store....

Plus, the really, really neat thing about loctite is that you can leave it for future generations, and it'll be just as good as ever when the mole-people dig it up in 8 thousand years. (well, at least a few decades) If it's in the bottle with some air, it doesn't go off.

actually for critical applications Loctite only guaranties their product for the period on one year. From the date of shipment.

Loren Coe wrote:

If they're steel.......use salt water......
Sven, a toolmaker at my first workplace whom I grew to know and respect , used that trick when he'd reamed a dowel pin hole a smidgen oversize. He got some salt from the lunch table, wet the parts with salt water and rammed the pin home. A few days later that pin would be, (his woirds) "As tight as a bull's arse in fly season."
I remember learning somewhere that iron oxide occupies more space than the iron it's made from. That's a pretty good explanation for why stuff rusts up so damn tight.
Jeff
-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I remember reading about a feedwater heater used in a marine application. They said the seams were rust sealed, by applying a paste of sal ammoniac to the mating surfaces then bolting them together. Sounds dreadful but must have worked at least until some poor bastard had to disassemble it.

Sure, this is my secret recipe:
First off, begin disassembling a critical device out in the garage, right before it's going to either drop into the teens, or start pouring monsoon rain.
Then while re-assembling the item you have to drop one of the irreplacium fasteners into the pile of leaf debris, grit, concrete dust, and depending on the season, mud snow or ice.
The most important part of this is to be absolutely SURE that the fastener in question is fully greased up.
Then go down in the shop and search for an hour for a new replacement fastener. Not forthcoming, of course.
Then spend two more hours sifting thru the garage floor to find the one you just lost. By the time it's found the temperature will be below the teens and/or the flooding will have commenced.
Install fastener immediately, while it is coated with the patented, all purpose Rozen-Loc (tm) which absolutely fixes the fastener permanently in place - removeable only with dynamite.
Seriously though you can get a tiny tube of red locktite at any hardware or autopart store, single application. Use it, throw the rest out. That stuff really really works.
Jim
================================================= please reply to: JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com =================================================
I'm going to get laughed at or boo'd ... I just know it.
Use clear fingernail polish. I've used it quite a few times in a pinch for eyeglasses and other small screw assemblies. I've never tried it on anything bigger because I had LockTite.
--Geroge

I have often used the fingernail polish thing, as well as spray paint or sometimes just center punching and deforming a thread.
-- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address
replying to Roy, Rick Horan wrote: *Roy's "Website" appears to be a scam. Don't click on it*
On 12-Oct-16 12:18 PM, Rick Horan wrote:

nah its fine: http://ww1.frugalmachinist.com/
It appears you've replied to a thread that has been dead for 13 years though.
On 12-Oct-16 12:18 PM, Rick Horan wrote:

Someones just bought roys old domain and is flogging ads.
BWAHAHAHA!!! Oh... wait... I use that too... ;-)
I find that it works well for small things, and is not permanent, but you may have to re-apply it once in a while....
Lock-tite comes in different grades, depending on whether you plan to disassemble it later, and also on how much clearance you are dealing with. Naturally, anything you come up with on your own will not match your requirements as well as the real stuff, but I have used: shellac, CA glue, paint, printers ink, whatever is handy. They all work, more or less.
If it's just for basic thread locking work (ie to stop someting unthreading without the application of tools) then I've had success using: CA (Krazy glue I think it's called in US), Nail polish (most colours except the metallics due to the glitter in it), PVA (white glue), Dope (Nitrocellouse - used in model aricraft applications).. Another option is to consider slightly upsetting one of the threads with a light touch with a centre punch etc
Des

"Loren Coe"

Even the toughest of tattooed bikies carries a small bottle of nail varnish - not because they like to paint their nails and look sexy - but to use as screw lock on their Harleys. Now this is where I might be dead wrong, but I think the American bikes still use imperial threads which have coarser threads and thus shake loose quicker than metric threads in those faster but soul-less jap bikes. This should start a good fight.
Dean, ( yes, I can hear cowboy movie punches and windows smashing at the roadhouse already )
Yep. I used to race dirt bikes. A bunch of the riders had a cheap, readily available solution to the loose nut problem. We found that the weather stripping cement made by 3M (we called it "Gorilla Snot" as it was yellow), applied to the outside of the nut/bolt head, gave us both an indication of the item turning and a bunch of security. I never lost a bolt/nut when using "Gorilla Snot". I have continue to use it on my personal helicopter. Stu Fields

Loose hold: one hit on the end of the bolt with a ball-pien hammer. Snug hold: two hits. And so on....
Nail polish works as a thread lock. Don

don tracey wrote:

his next question will be how to make your own nail polish as i will only use it one in a blue moon.........