Thread query

My staking set (a clockmaker's tool) made by Favorite of Switzerland has a
damaged thread on the stud that locks the turntable and I want to replace
it. The thread is 6.97 mm diameter x 1.0 mm pitch but I can't find it listed
in Tubal Cain's book or the Zeus tables. Can anybody tell me if this is a
standard thread that I might be able to buy a die for? Would one in fact
refer to this thread as 7 mm?
Cliff Coggin.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
The standard pitch for M7 is 1mm. But M7 is no (longer) standard. :-)
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
Peugeot 405 brake caliper bleed screws :-(
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
+ Brake cable adjusting screws on old mopeds. So the 405 directly derives from a Solex Velocette?
LeFrog!
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
On or around Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:33:21 -0000, "Cliff Coggin" enlightened us thusly:
as they've said, M7x1, which is in fact metric coarse, I believe. The only others 7mm in my list are Loewenhertz which is 1.1mm pitch, and M7 fine which is 0.75mm.
nothing else is near that diameter.
Reply to
Austin Shackles
Also many bicycle bits use M7 (brakes iirc, mainly French and Italian but maybe also the Japanese)
The 5.5mm hex key needed to remove them that nobody usually has is the clue :)
The rest of the usual sequence being
hex Thread 4mm = M5 5mm = M6 6mm = M8
Reply to
Mike
Wait a moment while I check what cars are on the driveway. A couple of Rollers, several Mercs, the odd Lambo, a brace of Fords, but damn me, no Peugeots. Suppose I'll have to buy a 7 mm die instead :)
Cliff.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
And one (ONE only) of the timing belt cover screws - the other four are M6 - yeah! Bloody French! DAHIKT
Richard
Reply to
Richard Shute
Yes it was also a standard thread on Renault in the 70s I bought one to tap out a broken bleed nipple. Cheers Colin
Reply to
colin.wildgust
Yes it was also a standard thread on Renault in the 70s I bought one to tap out a broken bleed nipple. Cheers Colin
----------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks to all who replied. I found this size for sale at Tap & Die Co. The price was a reasonable £7.50, though tax and postage added a whopping £11.
Cliff.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
J&L Industrial, item no IRH-06631D £6.42 + VAT -shipping £4.95 or free collection from the depot.
Reply to
Dave Baker
Damn! Why didn't I think of J&L.
Cliff.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
Surprisingly not listed by Tracy Tools.
Reply to
1501
Tracy was the first place I looked. I too was was surpried at its absence.
Cliff.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin