Yale door knob

Hello, I lost the key to a yale key-in-knob doorknob of a steel door. The door is unlocked. I need to know how to remove either the cylinder from the knob, or the knob itself to take it into a locksmith and have rekeyed.

There are no screws visible on the knob on the inside or outside (but that would make it too easy, huh?). Thanks. Kaci

Reply to
kaci

unfortunately that answer TOTALLY depends on which and how old a Yale. They are like a Chevy-lots of different models...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Gee, is it possible that this thing can't be removed from the door except by a locksmith? That would be strange... I assume it's some kind of commercial model. It has a silver or metal type finish, nothing fancy, the door is to a basement room of an apartment bldg. built in the '60s. There are 4 other such doors so I assume the locks have never been changed. I could not see any serial numbers anywhere. Thanks.

Reply to
kaci

Again depending on the lock and which model. Look for a opening on the narrow portion of the inside know. Often you can take I icepick, small screw driver, etc and depress a small button to remove the inside knob. Having done this, remove the inside rose. (The small ring type part that goes against the door.) With that off, I'm assuming you'll see the screws that hold the knob on. Remove those and you should be able to pull the key side of the knob straight out. Take that to your locksmith and get your key or other service done.

These instructions are rather generic and depend on the model of device you're looking at, but I hope that helps some.

Reply to
MThomas859

It's not suprising that a commercial grade product is sometimes made in such a way that specialized tools or knowedge are required to work on them.

Sometimes it's not really that specialized, but instead was manufactured with the idea of having no exposed screws to gather dirt, paint, etc. Like many puzzles, youo just have to know which part is removed first and how to release that part. Without knowing which unit you have (in general), we can't tell you which part comes off first.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs

Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ

Great question. I concur with the other posts about looking for the knob retainer first. This will most likely be found on the latch side of the spindle. It will either look like a little slot with a spring loaded tab inside the slot or perhaps a little hole. Push this in with an appropriate tool ( Wire from a paper clip, screwdriver, etc.) and pull off the inside knob.

The rose plate will probably have a little slot on the edge that you can stick a screwdriver in and gently twist.

If you can't figure this lock puzzle out, contact your local locksmith. He is probably familiar with the locks used in the subdivisions in your area and can probably show you how to take the lock apart.

If you had a key, you could probably have removed the outside knob.

Let us know how it turns out.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

On most yales, you don't need a key to remove the outside knob. Look for a poke hole just a little above or below nine or three o'clock on the shaft behind the knob. While looking into the hole slowly turn the outside know until what would have been at the nine or three o'clock position is under the poke hole. You should then see the retainer. Push in on the retainer using a *large* paperclip. Then pull the knob off. This won't work with a key-in-lever or a grade I knob lock but it will work on grade II and III. It also won't work on a storeroom function.

Good luck.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

outside know

First, thanks for all your responses. Armed with the replies I got yesterday, I went back there (I don't live there, just own the bldg.) and looked for the small hole. There is one on the outside knob positioned as you say; nothing on the inside knob. I pushed in with a tiny screwdriver-- it didn't give a bit.

Now reading your post, Bob, I'm thinking I should have been looking in the hole to position the knob correctly instead of just poking. So I'll go back and try it again. I wish I knew the difference between a grade 1 or 2, 3 lock so that I'd know if I'm just wasting my time or if this is something an untrained layperson can defeat<g>. If this doesn't work, though, I have resigned to calling the locksmith! Again, thanks everyone. Kaci Do-it-yourself Landlady & occasional cheapskate

Reply to
kaci

outside knob.

o'clock on the

turn the

position is

in on the

This won't work

grade II and

(I don't

hole. There

on the

didn't give a

been looking in

poking. So

difference between a

my time or

If this

locksmith! Again,

if you do have to call a locksmith ? watch him remove it and you will know the next time.

g'luck

Reply to
"Keyman

If the knob is locked the poke hole will not be correctly aligned. If it is unlocked try turning it a little at time and either looking in it or probing until you feel a springy resistance. An ice pick works well.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere