How to screw on a door knob ..

..is what I need to know. Both my knobs came off my mortice spring latch bedroom door the other day, screws ripped straight out of the door, don't ask why. Anyway I managed to dissaseble it (them actually; the knobs) and heres a little pic of one:

for lack of terminology, i call these things in the photo: top-left: spindle top-right: knob bottom-left: little screw thing - (this has a flat square hole on one side, and thread on inside of the other) bottom-middle: screw mount bottom-right: cover

My problem comes when trying to re-fit them, I put the little screw thing with square flat side facing door into the screw mount, attach screw mount to the door, then put the cover over the mount and start screwing in the knob using the spindle from the other side to hold the little screw thing in place when the knob starts to bite the thread, then once tight i can manipulate the spindle from the other side , so i push it right into the now fastened knob, and proceed to do the same to the next side, everything goes fine until the knob screws so far into the little screw thing that the square hole in the knob engages the spindle, turns the hub and cam retracting the latch and stopping me from turning any more, please can you help me do this in the right order/method, it seems like i should screw one side in, then slide the other part to join it, but with the screws positioned where they are I cant see how to do that.

cheers

PS. im not an aspiring locksmith.

Reply to
george

At that point you back off the knob by a half turn or so so so it isn't clamping the door between the two knobs, then tighten the setscrews to hold the knobs in that position.

Easier to demonstrate than to describe.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

I can imagine, thanks Joe, done it!