safe deposit boxes redux

Manager at my bank was telling me how difficult it was to get a locksmith to come out and open a box. Mostly because of scheduling difficulties with the locksmith and whoever (heirs, usually) wanted the box opened. Seems the local locksmiths didn't appreciate sitting around the bank waiting for someone to show up and vice versa. Being mostly retired, and never having done this work, I wonder if it would be worth my while. How much trouble is it to drill out a lock (with proper tools, jigs, etc.) and how much time? I'd have the time to wait around if necessary. Go fishing the next day.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph K. Compton

DEPENDS totally on the lock.. the brand /model.. tools can be $2-3 hundred. or less. see brand of lock..

drill-cordless GOOD bits, few hand tools, PLUS whatever THAT brand takes. KNOW THE STATE LAWS.. there IS a time frame BEFORE it can be opened IF abandoned, and the banks got rules THEY must go by.

abandoned in MY state takes 2 OFFICERS.. lost key, the CUSTOMER is standing there. its REAL good money, IMO, going to do 6 abandoned next tuesday.. I get trip, plus a PER BOX, plus new lock.. (NOT NECESSARILY NEEDED) --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Hi Ralph,

I do safe deposit box work for a couple of banks in my area and have never had a problem with scheduling. If you have the proper tools and basic knowledge of the locks it is fairly easy and rewarding work. I have made most of the tools I use myself and bought a couple of specialized tools off of e-Bay. I think TNL has a book on safe deposit box locks but I am not familiar with the quality of it. Maybe one of the other people on this group can comment on it.....

Leon Rowell

Ralph K. Compt> Manager at my bank was telling me how difficult it was to get a locksmith to

Reply to
Leon Rowell

If you're in Houston or within 75 miles then I'll have someone there in 1 hour or less after you call, average 25 minutes.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

With proper tools and more importantly proper knowledge it is easy enough. As far as waiting around build that into your fee.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

my pick for the diebold sd lock was over $200. I would say to get involved in sd work and be a professional it will take an investment of about $3-4000. sure you can get by for a lot less but will you be giving full service? things you need -pick for diebold -lefubure bypass tool- sd puller - code machine to cut keys -inventory of replacement locks - books - key blanks-not to mention license and bond

Reply to
todd

I have one bank that has some locks dating from 1890, still in use AND in good shape.. another thing to know is who/where to get the old stuff as well, sometimes walking into a bank, founded in 1880 DOES pay off. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--