Rosengrens safe

I am looking for some accessories for a Rosengrens (made in Sweden) DC-210 computer media fire safe, preferably in the US.

It uses a lever lock, and came with three keys. However, these keys have a detachable (6" long) stem, and only one stem was included. Does anyone know where I can get two additional stems? They look something like this:

The length of the stem (not including bow) is 4.2".

I am also looking for three roll-out shelves for this safe. The inside dimensions are 20.5" x 17.5" (approximately).

The only dealers appear to be in England/Europe, but I would love to be proved wrong! :-)

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard

I would suggest the fastest way would be to have them made at a machine shop. I have not seen these safes advertised anywhere, so a US dealer is probably not going to be easy to find.

Again this is not a difficult thing to fabricate. a local cabinet maker could probably whip these out quickly for you, or perhaps a sheet metal shop.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Find a screw that is the correct size and have someone spot weld it onto the end of a metal rod.

Reply to
Tom

And what happens the first time an employee turns it counter-clockwise and it unscrews from the key bit? That is why it is a two-piece design, with the threaded retainer running inside the stem. Likewise, that is the reason for the matching "V" notches in the two pieces.

Yes, a machine shop could make a couple of custom stems. For about $200. While I don't mind paying good money for good work, I would much rather buy a stock item from a locksmith. If I have to go to one in England or Europe, then I guess I will have to.

What's that you guys say about supporting locksmiths? :-)

Richard

Reply to
Richard

1.. there ARE 2 ways of holding the thread.. a non removable Locktite-there is such a thing-takes heat to soften. OR pin it.. roll pins are tough. and some of the new glues are really tough as well-it would come down to breaking the shaft before the key part broke..

IF you came to me with it, then I would look of making the key out of a welded shaft assembly-braized comes to mind as easy and fast.or the mig welder sitting in the corner., BUT I ALSO got a very old antique Ilco machine that will hold and cut bit keys..1939 vintage, if the dates on the cutter wheels are any indication.

comes down to having a GOOD need for the tools. If you will never use it, unless you got tons of money to waste, then you will not have every tool to do EVERY conceivable situation. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Rosengren is mostly sold in Europe and the UK. Your easiest solution is to source what you need from a supplier there and just have them ship it. It's small and light so international shipping shouldn't be a big deal. Your cheapest alternative is to simply source some appropriately sized rod or tube stock and braze your key bits into it. If you use rod it would be best to first bore a small hole in the end to accept the key bit. Brazing is more than strong enough for your application welding is complete overkill for something like that and I would consider locktite etc an amateur fix. A good machine shop or locksmith who does fabrication work could do this for only a little more than it will cost you to import the OEM parts.

Reply to
DB

FWIW, I sent a pair of keys from Missouri to Sweden and they got there in 3 days.. and i did NOT send them 'fast shipping' way..

and you really need to see the permanent Locktite.. its a bear..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Yeah the international ordering of parts is not a big deal in this day and age. Quick and easy. AFA locktite I've used the various products red, blue, silver, green, and they are ok for something where there is a good chance it will need to be taken back apart e.g. bolts or sleeves on machinery, but for something that will probably never need to be taken apart and considering the ease of brazing why bother with locktite? I can braze it almost as fast as I can locktite it and I KNOW it will stay together even if it isn't threaded. If it does someday have to come apart just heat it untill the brazing alloy flows and take it apart.

Reply to
DB

Why mess with brazing or locktite? The design of the key is for the bit to be affixed to a keyed shaft held in place with a simple screw. Duplicating this is no problem, the thread is standard and the tubing is probably an off the shelf item. Whip out a pair of these in less than an hour or send off a couple of e-mails and get some factory made ones from overseas if you wish to go through the hassle of customs and currency exchange.

The advantage to keeping the original design is it would make rekeying the lock at a future date a whole lot easier.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

such a small piece I would silver solder it.. space wise of the material it takes up far less room..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

My understanding was he was nervous about the possibility of it unscewing and if fabricated wanted something where there was no way that could happen.

Reply to
DB

If you look at the design of the key, the screw holds the bit on to a keyed shaft. This is a far cry from trying to hold a bit on a shaft with threads alone.

The OP is faced with two options find a source (probably overseas) or have the same thing made custom. Neither is really a problem if you can afford the safe and have stuff to lock inside one.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

If it were me I would just import the OEM part. It will probably cost about the same to fabricate it as buy the OEM. As far as your earlier remark about the tubing being off the shelf, it probably is from somewhere online, or maybe from a well stocked supplier in a big city, but in most of the country you aren't going to find it easily simply because it's metric. You would have to find something close enough and tap it.

Reply to
DB

Same process. The only difference is the size of the filler stock.

Reply to
DB