NRA knife made in China

'Got my new NRA knife today, which was my gift for starting my membership up after a lapse of maybe 12 years or so, and for paying by credit card.
Actually, for re-upping I got a rosewood-handled multitool with a case and a set of screwdriver tips that fit into the case. This one is pretty slick, like a fashion designer's version of a Leatherman. The knife was for paying by credit card.
It's a pretty little lockblade with a rosewood handle. It's a little rough and gritty but I probably can smooth it out by pumping in some stainless polish and working it open and closed for an hour or so while watching the ballgame tonight.
On one side of the blade is etched "NRA - National Rifle Association" and "Stainless." On the other side it says "440" and "China."
-- Ed Huntress
Probably the same factory that makes Handgun Control, Inc's membership knives.

Ooh, weee. What do they look like? Serrated edge and a gut hook, I'll bet.
-- Ed Huntress

Hmmm.... there's got to be some fun to be had the idea of designing an HCI membership knife. Let's see, it'll be a folder, it'll require you to wear a special ring with an embedded RFID chip to open, the blade will require serious effort to cut through soft butter.... this knife is, of course, banned in the UK as an offensive weapon.

I am envisioning a pink knife made from silicone rubber... With a packet of K-Y jelly included...
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:32:41 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

Which the perp IMMEDIATELY takes from (and uses on) you. And don't forget there's that 5 day waiting period while your assets are being siezed by the DHS.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

I pictured it as something really nasty, like a black metal-handled, skelatonized thing with a thumb loop, serrated blade, and a big gut hook on top. <g>
-- Ed Huntress
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:24:10 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed

No, the one with the gut hook is the one the NRA member designed for use -on- HCI folks. Don't forget to bury the entrails, folks. They contain some heavily toxic stuff.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

I believe that is a non sequitur.
Ed Huntress wrote:

Got a coffee mug from the Family Readiness Group people. As expected. made in china.

I have to wonder about where the premiums are made for Society of Manufacturing Engineers membership.
-- Ed Huntress

Oh, I think it was just a cost thing. Premiums like that are no more than tokens, anyway. It just struck me funny.
It is a nice looking little lockblade. I'll see if I can make something decent out of it. Too bad the "China" is stamped in. I could fix it if it was just a light etch. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:31:20 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed

So are you stating it this way due to guilt (from buying Chiwanese), or what, Ed? <chortle>

Ah, that's what I should do with my rigging (nautical) knife. The hawkbill blade is mighty hard to open which makes it dangerous. Oil helped but a bit of lapping powder might be just the thing it needs.

Sad, huh?
-- Honor unto death, or at least unto discomfort.
quickly quoth:

Be careful what you use. I once made the mistake of using aluminum oxide flour and wound up with a loose hinge. I use Simichrome or a chunk of Dico stainless steel polish dissolved in some mineral oil. I've done this to pocket knives and other things, and it usually works fine. You need something hard, like the Dico ss polish, to cut anything at all, but it has to be very fine. If you use rouge, it probably will take you two days.
BTW, the Dico polish is better for stropping a razor edge than anything I've ever used, and I've used about everything.

Yeah, mostly ironic, though.
-- Ed Huntress
<snip>

Haha! Good question.
-- Ed Huntress
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:01:35 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed

I was thinking of using some of the green compound I got from Lee Valley. It's halfway between rouge and tripoli. Then I could use the power washer to thoroughly rinse it when done. I don't like loose hinges.

I wonder if that box of stainless cleaner I bought uses the same grit... I've never had aluminum rims so I've never needed Simichrome or Mother's. Most of the metal polishing I've done is either brass, unless you count the steel. I polish up my plane blades to within a gnat's ass of one-sidedness. Why, if I waved that plane blade around too fast, I'd split atoms. THAT's Scary Sharp(tm), folks. (Humor borrowed from the Wreck.)
Well, I just hopped on eBay and bought some MAAS polish that youse guys have been touting. I'll give that a try first.
Thanks for the tips and cautions, Ed.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
I had a girlfriend way back that was made in China. Nothing wrong with the quality, just the software. JR Dweller in the cellar
Ed Huntress wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:47:01 -0700, JR North

They make inflateables?
Damn....
Gunner

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 00:53:38 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

You're in luck, bubba: Pigs and Sheep, too! http://www.prankplace.com/inflatables.htm Enjoy! <gd&r>
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Gunner wrote:

What did you *think* they were doing with all the old car and truck tires? :)
prove it.