OS engines made in China

Is it true that OS engines are now made in China? If so are they available for sale in China or are they manufactured just for export. I will be traveling to China in May and am wondering if I could pick some engines cheaply.

Reply to
Richard Mason

If that were true, it would shake the RC world to its foundations. After all, everyone knows that the Chinese only produce junk and all Japanese products are superior. ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

So are you saying that OS engines are definitely not made in China?

Reply to
Richard Mason

Nope, just being silly! ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

That may be the case but not for the reasons you imply.

Noting the smiley, have you tried comparing a 46AX to a GMS 47? Pretty similar in the specs race and the GMS is definitely more economical as tested by our club members.

I've seen how amazing even the humble 40LA is once properly run in BUT when I go for a powerful 46 sized engine it will most likely be a GMS 47.

Reply to
The Raven

Just as a side issue. I was recently compaing a 10 year old ASP engine to a modern day Magnum. Both were similar sizes. Castings are identical....

Also was comparing a GMS series I engine to a later series II engine. The casting quality has improved significantly and the power outputs have gone up.

Reply to
The Raven

I've got a 14 year old ASP .40 that has been in a number of aircraft and crashed many times - its carby is now epoxied in place, the casing has been swapped with another of the same vintage, the compression isn't as good as it used to be, but I am always amazed at how well it runs on 10% nitro - the RPMs are not that far from what a newer OS 46FX does.

Based on that I just got a Magnum .52 instead of an OS 50SX - I've always understood that the Magnums come from the same production line as the ASP, which are hard to come by in Australia - it looks a little strange with the blue round head on a square-finned casing and is still running a little hot from running in, but I've got great hopes for it - if it performs like the ancient ASP, I'll be very happy.

Reply to
Poxy

Reply to
Redhart

Raven,

What I was referring to was the misguided opinions of many here. Of course the Chinese can make stuff just as good as anyone else.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

ASP, Magnum and GMS are all made by the same parent company. GMS also made the Tower 46.

The GMS series are the best of the current Chinese crop. Magnum 4 strokes are very good for the money.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Take a look at the new GMS engines. Same round head on the squared off fins.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I think you will see India next on the horizon. They are buying up a lot of high tech manufacturing technology.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Yep. Then Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

And they have half the words work force to do it with! Think about it!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

I think India will take about 3-5 years to be where China is today. They have a far better educated workforce already and don't suffer so much from the "communist" influences.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Don't forget Ethiopia...

It's been rumored they're building a nuclear powered aircraft carrier entirely from recycled spearheads.....

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Dang. I plum forgot about all of those depleted uranium spearheads that the last Ethiopian dictatorship had made and stored underground.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Wouldn't an aircraft carrier made from depleted uranium be a bit heavy? They would have to use the uranium as fasteners to hold the many spear shafts together. That is if you want it to float.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

I'm told that is the case and a comparison of old ASP and new Magnums suggest that is true.

Magnum engines are getting a good reputation in Australia, particularly the four strokes. There are some excellent bargains to be had when you start comparing prices to other name brand engines.

If I had the money to go out and buy the aircraft I want, I'd also be buying a FS91 Magnum. I don't see the point in paying lots of money for a name when cheaper engines will last almost as long with very similar power outputs.

Reply to
The Raven

Interesting you should say that. From what I've observed from various club members the GMS 2 strokes are a fine engine and the Magnum four strokes are also great. Looking at their respective prices, they are significantly cheaper than other name engines AND I've seen more name engines fail in the last 6 months than one single non-name engine.

BTW I run an OS because I got it at a good price. Can't fault it now. Originally I thought it was somewhat low on power but the more I run it the better it gets. It's an LA 40.

Reply to
The Raven