Made in China?

There has been much political speculation of late as to what China would do if Taiwan declared independence, with clear signs coming from Beijing that a
military intervention would be a distinct possibility.
What would the West do if this scenario became reality? Could it result in sanctions and effectively mean the end of model railway production in China? What would Hornby and Bachmann do in this situation?
John.
John Turner wrote:

A lot of hand-wringing and bluster for the first few months. China will then declare some psuedo-elections in Taiwan at some time in the future; Bush and Blair will congratulate each other on their effectiveness at bringing "democracy" to China; a puppet government will be set up in Taiwan; and the whole matter will be gradually ignored.
In reality, China controls the world and has the rest of us over a barrel - practically all consumer goods are made in China, and even if a government wanted to embargo them, big business would pile on too much pressure. China also has too much military power to consider doing a Saddam on.
R.
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:53:22 +0000, Richard

I just reqad a short while ago that most of the shoes manufactured in the world are made in China - so if things get a bit heated, we might be going barefoot :-)
Jim.
Jim Guthrie wrote:

if a

much
the world

barefoot
Smiley noted but... As with a lot of statistics (or scare stories) you need to read between the lines. When you consider the proportion of shoes manufactured in China (and IIRC it isn't actually "most") alongside the proportion of the worlds population who live in China it's hardly a surpising statistic. Unless, that is, the population of China walk around bare-foot.
MBQ

I happened to be working on something which was related to the shoe-making industry in Northampton and it would appear that there is not much of our indigenous shoe-making industry left. And I think we have just lost Clarkes factory in the South West. So probably most of the shoes worn in Britain must be coming from somewhere outside our shores.
I just found this site as one of many which refers to the size of China's shoe export market.
http://www.shoeinfonet.com/releases/release_879.htm
Jim.
"Richard" wrote

China only has a stranglehold in manufacturing until the next *new economy* comes along willing to produce goods of a relatively high quality at a very competitive price, then watch big business abandon China like a sinking ship.
Who knows, one day that *new economy* might even be the UK. ;-)
John.

The cheapest place to manufacture right now is India but the expertise needed to produce model railways is currently concentrated in China. It would be some years before India was able to produce models for export to the same standard.

A BBC documentary already highlighted the case of a factory in Wales where the staff were apparently incapable of assembling a large scale toy of Thomas the Tank Engine. I doubt that was an isolated or untypical example. My local supermarket is unable to recruit schoolleavers who can carry out the simplest of tasks.
(kim)
"kim" wrote

Is that because they're thick or because they won't pay the market rate for the job?
John.

Some are students working part-time and still unable to carry out the simplest of tasks.
(kim)

As one who spent 12 years working for tesco as a Fresh Foods stock controller, I can guarentee the above will therefore become Store Managaers!!!

Like operating a bar-code scanner and a till that calculates change due. They are completely non-plussed when faced with produce with no PLU code sticker. I was asked recently "Are those walnuts?" (which they were).
Yet they seem able to master the intricacies of bit torrents. ;-)
--
Martin S.

It's probably both, i.e. they (the supermarket managers) are thick and they won't pay the market rate.

--
Jane
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html

LOL - best laugh of the day! ;-)
John.
<snip>

Not forgetting the inability of companies to train these days...

The lady in charge of quality control at the toy factory asked each employee in turn if they'd been trained to assemble the loco correctly and they all agreed that they had. One of the jobs in the supermarket involves placing a sheet of greaseproof paper on the scales, then placing a slice of meat on the greaseproof paper. A staggering number of girls were incapable even of doing that. They have to draft in older women from the canteen dept to fill in for them.
As far as I can tell an ever increasing number of job seekers are leaving school without the most basic of handicraft and housekeeping skills.
(kim)

out
employee
Well, obviously that hadn't, no need to ask, part of the training should have been the reasons why it's vital to assemble the item correctly.
One of the jobs in the supermarket involves placing a

fill
Again, it comes down to a lack in the HR dept. and their selection / training of recruits, the people who are failing are the supervisors etc. not necessarily those who are trying to do the job.
I once had to complain about a member of a meat counter staff, she wasn't wearing the required hat correctly (allowing the hair at the front of her head to fail above the meat she was serving), although she was technically at fault the real problem was that she wasn't getting the supervision she needed as a new member of staff - although a supervisor was standing within yards of her....

Oh, I agree, but it's not the fault of the kids - after all they keep being told that it's bits of paper employer want and not practical skills, out goes metalwork, proper 'Home Economics' and any number of other practical skills and in comes the need to store facts and figures and then the recalling of them to obtain that bit of (in real terms) worthless paper....
"kim" wrote

Not to mention an inability to use the English language properly.
John.

I went into a McDonald's in Glasgow just as it was opening at 9:00 a.m. (strewth!), and was greeted with "Whit jiz efter?"
[Most N.A. McDonald's open at 6:00, or are open 24 hours.]
--
Martin S.

wrote: <snip>

I don't know if that says more about the average McDonald's operative or yourself !....

And your problem is what, exactly? :-) Glaswegians in my experience have never claimed to speak English, as that is the tongue of a foreign country that they are unofficially at a permanent state of verbal conflict with. (Not war, just verbal conflict, commonly referred to as a form of "banter") They choose instead to converse in their own natural tongue, a dialect as easily recognisable as many other Scottish accents, such as Doric and Gaelic, etc. Would you expect to go to, say, Albuquerque and hear the same tongue and dialect as in, say, Brunswick? Let's face it, American English is only a bastardised version of the true English language anyway. They can't even spell colour or tyre correctly. ;-)

Assuming you mean N.A. to be North America, that would explain why waistlines are larger "over there". <grin> Badger. Northern Scotland.