Made in China?

Indeed, the Aussies never did forgive us for making them run up a beach in Turkey....

Reply to
James Christie

Honestly - arguing over whihc politician is the least dishonest is like arguing about the merits of mosquitoes -they all suck blood.

DS

Reply to
David Smith

Jerry,

Well me and quite a few folk might have to get a clue. I seem to remember that the 'Falkland Factor' is still talked about in political circles to this day. :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"James Christie" wrote

That's right, but they've got their own back by making us chase cricket balls to the boundary for the last few years! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I don't buy much there, but why spend 2 to 3 times as much for the same basic household items (also made in China) at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire?

Reply to
MartinS

Well, size seems as good a measure of bigness as any other.

Stopped as soon as possible after fleeing the disloyal tax dodgers?

No they weren't. Places like India and colonies in Africa had no say, but the self-governing dominions, to all intents and purposes long independent by then, had the choice. Canada (and AU, NZ, ZA) declared war because it decided to, not because the UK told it to. One self-governing then-part of the commonwealth stayed (officially, if not practically) neutral throughout.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Ah yes, the war where Britain found out that aluminium was not a good material out of which to build battleship hulls.

Reply to
MartinS

In message , John Turner writes

It's been a bit longer than a few.... I must admit, despite being a devout Scotland supporter, when I watched the World Cup Final, faced with the choice of the cup going to a penal colony or in England, I cast my principles aside and supported England. Not that I told anyone, mind....

:-)

Reply to
James Christie

Har, Har!

Reply to
MartinS

Canadians still get a holiday on May 24, or on the closest preceding Monday, supposedly in Celebration of Queen Victoria's birthday. It's usually a week before Memorial Day south of the border. (Americans commemorate their war dead then, and honour surviving Veterans on November 11.)

Reply to
MartinS

In message , Arthur Figgis writes

Not really, remember Russia was pretty massive back in Big Mistake 1, yet they were totally ineffective against the German in the first year or so of the war, as they were in Big Mistake 2 for the first year or two.

I take it by that, you're referring to Eire, or was it Irish Free State back then? Though, there were of course rumours as to who's side they were actually on...

Reply to
James Christie

And I suspect some satellite gathered intelligence came our way. Was there not an offer for a mothballed US aircraft carrier to be released to the UK if we really needed one ?

G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

Reply to
David Costigan

LOL Shades of ratucs! ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I suggest you study what was happening within the UK at the time, like 2 or

3 million unemployed, the nationalised industries (British steel, coal, electricity etc.) undergoing or threatened with drastic change for example was having far more effect on the voting masses than a war on the other side of the world.

The one country that did under go drastic change due to the war was Argentina the defeat directly brought about the collapse of the military junta...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

And your problem is what, exactly? :-) Glaswegians in my experience have never claimed to speak English, as that is the tongue of a foreign country that they are unofficially at a permanent state of verbal conflict with. (Not war, just verbal conflict, commonly referred to as a form of "banter") They choose instead to converse in their own natural tongue, a dialect as easily recognisable as many other Scottish accents, such as Doric and Gaelic, etc. Would you expect to go to, say, Albuquerque and hear the same tongue and dialect as in, say, Brunswick? Let's face it, American English is only a bastardised version of the true English language anyway. They can't even spell colour or tyre correctly. ;-)

Assuming you mean N.A. to be North America, that would explain why waistlines are larger "over there". Badger. Northern Scotland.

Reply to
Badger

Q. What is the difference between the Sicilian Mafia and the Glaswegian Mafia?

A. The Sicilian Mafia makes you an offer you can't refuse. The Glaswegian Mafia makes you an offer you can't understand!

:o)

A Scotsman goes into a cake shop and asks the proprietor "That cake in the window... is it a macaroon or a meringue?"

The proprietor answers, "No, you're right. It's a macaroon..."

;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

It would be an interesting comparison. Bliar has more teeth than Howeird, but less eyebrows. Both have large brown stains around their noses...

LOL! As personified by Piers Akermann?

No thanks!

Reply to
mark_newton

Please tell me that is just bait for Andrew Breen et al, and not a genuine statement...? :-)

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

"James Christie" wrote

I thought Ireland was independent before WWII?

John.

Reply to
John Turner