Made in China?

There has been much political speculation of late as to what China would do if Taiwan declared independence, with clear signs coming from Beijing that a military intervention would be a distinct possibility.

What would the West do if this scenario became reality? Could it result in sanctions and effectively mean the end of model railway production in China? What would Hornby and Bachmann do in this situation?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

A lot of hand-wringing and bluster for the first few months. China will then declare some psuedo-elections in Taiwan at some time in the future; Bush and Blair will congratulate each other on their effectiveness at bringing "democracy" to China; a puppet government will be set up in Taiwan; and the whole matter will be gradually ignored.

In reality, China controls the world and has the rest of us over a barrel - practically all consumer goods are made in China, and even if a government wanted to embargo them, big business would pile on too much pressure. China also has too much military power to consider doing a Saddam on.

R.

Reply to
Richard

I just reqad a short while ago that most of the shoes manufactured in the world are made in China - so if things get a bit heated, we might be going barefoot :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Richard" wrote

China only has a stranglehold in manufacturing until the next *new economy* comes along willing to produce goods of a relatively high quality at a very competitive price, then watch big business abandon China like a sinking ship.

Who knows, one day that *new economy* might even be the UK. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

This has been worrying me for some time (and not just in model railways), I do hope that Bachmann and Hornby etc. have continuance plans for when either the above happens or (more likely) the 'production slots' that are expected go to another company - Talk about all the eggs in one basket, not just from one roost but the whole hen house....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The cheapest place to manufacture right now is India but the expertise needed to produce model railways is currently concentrated in China. It would be some years before India was able to produce models for export to the same standard.

A BBC documentary already highlighted the case of a factory in Wales where the staff were apparently incapable of assembling a large scale toy of Thomas the Tank Engine. I doubt that was an isolated or untypical example. My local supermarket is unable to recruit schoolleavers who can carry out the simplest of tasks.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

That really would sum up the average model railway enthusiast. China invade Taiwan and all they are worried about is the next new model from Bachmann.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

There won't be any ban on Chinese imports by Britain, the ties with Hong Kong and other interested parties are too strong.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Yes! All we need to do is bring back those dark satanic mills, get the children back up the chimneys and down the mines where they belong, etc :-)

Any fule kno the futile system was good echo-gnomics.

R.

Reply to
Richard

Since this is a uk model railway group and not a chinese politics group that is all that need concern us.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Is that because they're thick or because they won't pay the market rate for the job?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

I Geedubya says jump Tony will ask how high.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

Some of us would have preferred that Tony had had that attitude instead of choosing to invade Iraq.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Some are students working part-time and still unable to carry out the simplest of tasks.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The EU is likely to do the exact opposite of what the US wants it to do.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Uncle Tony didn't really have any choice in that matter. If our biggest military ally is at war, we are at war. He does have a choice in the matter of economic sanctions against China. My guess is he will impose a ban on arms exports to China but nothing else.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

NATO only commits military support in *defense* of the member states. Since (as most independent observers note) Dubya's invasion of Iraq was a war of agression, there was no legal requirement to join in.

R.

Reply to
Richard

Canada's biggest military ally is the US = we declined gracefully. Perhaps Saddam should have established a model railway manufactory for Hornby and Bachmann, then Tony would have declined with all the pressure from the model railway addicts! Mike in BC

Reply to
mcgray

Canada seems to have disagreed with that.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

I see you have totally missed the point I was making !...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::