Another One Bites the Dust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo

Palin resigns as governor, leaves plans secret By RACHEL D'ORO, Associated Press Writer Rachel D'oro, Associated Press
Writer 23 mins ago
WASILLA, Alaska – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin abruptly announced Friday she is resigning from office at the end of the month, a shocking move that rattled the Republican party but left open the possibility she would seek a run for the White House in 2012.
Palin, 45, and her staff kept her future plans shrouded in mystery, and it was unclear if the controversial hockey mom would quietly return to private life or begin laying the foundation for a presidential bid.
Palin's spokesman, David Murrow, said the governor didn't say anything to him about this being her "political finale." He said he interpreted Palin's comment about working outside government as reflecting her current job only.
"She's looking forward to serving the public outside the governor's chair," he said.
And Pam Pryor, a spokeswoman for Palin's political action committee SarahPAC, said the group continues to accept donations on its Web site, with an uptick in funds after Palin's announcement.
In a hastily arranged news conference at her home in suburban Wasilla, Palin said she will formally step down July 26, and Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell will be inaugurated at the governor's picnic in Fairbanks. She said she had decided against running for re-election as Alaska's governor, and believed it was best to leave office even though she had two years left to her term.
"Many just accept that lame duck status, and they hit that road. They draw a paycheck. They kind of milk it. And I'm not going to put Alaskans through that," she said.
The 2008 vice presidential nominee was seen as a likely presidential contender in 2012 and had proved formidable among the party's base. But the last week brought a highly critical piece in Vanity Fair magazine, with unnamed campaign aides questioning if Palin was ever really prepared for the presidency.
The backbiting continued through the week, with follow-up articles recounting the nasty infighting that plagued her failed bid. Her advisers sniped with other Republicans, underscoring the deeply divided GOP looking for its next standard bearer.
Meghan Stapleton, Palin's personal spokeswoman, shot down speculation that ranged wildly from Palin dropping out of politics altogether to eyeing runs against fellow Alaska Republicans U.S. Rep. Don Young and U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski. Palin's comment about serving outside government refers to the present, she said.
Stapleton, however, said it's too early to say whether Palin would seek the presidency. In the meantime, the governor will continue to work "toward affecting positive change as a citizen without a title right now," she said.
"Her vision is what's best for Alaska, which translates into what's best for America," Stapleton said.
Palin's resignation, timed on the eve of the July 4 holiday when many Americans had already begun a three-day weekend, seemed designed to avoid publicity. She alluded to how she could help change the country and help military members — code that she didn't think her time on the national stage was over.
Jerry McBeath, a veteran political science professor at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, called the pending resignation a "smart move," both for Palin and the state.
"Alaska is an isolated stage from which to operate if you want to figure in American national politics. I don't know what she has in mind. Some TV show or some national radio show. There are opportunities for her, I'm sure."
But political analyst Larry Sabato, in Charlottesville, Va., said Palin's announcement left many confused.
"It's absolutely bizarre, and I think it eliminates her from serious consideration for the presidency in 2012," he said.
Palin said her family weighed heavily in her decision.
"I polled the most important people in my life, my kids, where the count was unanimous," she said. "Well, in response to asking, 'Hey, you want me to make a positive difference and fight for all our children's future from outside the governor's office?' It was four yeses and one 'Hell, yeah!" And the 'Hell, yeah' sealed it."
Palin's decision not to seek re-election was a familiar one for a potential presidential candidate. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney chose not to seek another term as he geared up for an unsuccessful 2008 presidential bid. Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty has announced he won't seek another term, giving him plenty of free time ahead of a potential 2012 bid.
Palin emerged from relative obscurity nearly a year ago when she was tapped as then Republican presidential candidate John McCain's running mate.
She was a controversial figure from the start, with comedian Tina Fey famously imitating her elaborate updo and folksy "You betcha!" on "Saturday Night Live."
In the presidential race, Palin became the butt of talk-show jokes and Democratic criticism after news broke that the Republican Party had spent $150,000 or more on a designer wardrobe, accessories and hair and makeup services for her. The high-end spending spree contrasted with the down-to- earth image she sought to craft for herself and became an unwelcome issue for the McCain campaign.
She didn't leave the limelight once McCain lost the presidency. She recently led a public spat with "Late Show" host David Letterman over a joke he made about one of her daughters being "knocked up" by New York Yankees baseball player Alex Rodriguez during the governor's recent visit to New York. Palin's 18-year-old daughter, Bristol, is an unwed, teenage mother. Letterman later apologized for the joke.
Palin also complained that her 14-month-old son, Trig, who was diagnosed with Down's syndrome, had been "mocked and ridiculed by some mean- spirited adults recently." She didn't elaborate.
Fred Malek, a Republican strategist who has advised Palin over the past year, said Palin was "really unhappy with the way her life was going."
"She felt that the pressures of the job combined with her family obligations and the demands and desires to help other Republican candidates led her to decide not to run again. Once that decision was made, she realized, why not do it now and let the lieutenant governor take over and get a head start on his election," Malek said.
Palin was first elected in 2006 on a populist platform. But her popularity has waned as she became embroiled in partisan politics following her return from the presidential campaign. Her term would have ended in 2010.
Palin expressed frustration with her current role as governor.
"I cannot stand here as your governor and allow the millions of dollars and all that time go to waste just so I can hold the title of governor," Palin said, referring to the alleged impact of multiple ethics complaints against her, most of which have been dismissed.
Palin remaining as governor is not good for Alaska, given the "political bloodsport" by her critics, Stapleton said. Stepping down is a "fighter's move," Stapleton said, essentially Palin stepping around political barriers in her way and pursuing her vision.
Her decision even took Parnell by surprise. He said he was told on Wednesday evening, and was not aware that any presidential ambitions were behind the move. U.S. Sen. Mark Begich, D-Alaska, said Palin didn't inform him during a 45-minute meeting Wednesday.
Palin's announcement comes after several recent blows to the Republican party. Ensign, a member of the Christian ministry Promise Keepers, stepped down from the Senate Republican leadership last month after admitting he had an affair for much of last year with a woman on his campaign staff who was married to one of his Senate aides. Ensign later disclosed he had helped the woman's husband get two jobs during the affair.
A government watchdog group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, wants the Senate ethics committee and the Federal Election Commission to investigate.
Just days after news of Ensign's affair broke, Sanford admitted an affair with a woman in Argentina. Some lawmakers are now calling for his resignation. Before the admission, Sanford had been missing from the state for five days visiting his lover. He had slipped his security detail, lied to his staff about where he was and failed to transfer power to the lieutenant governor in case of a state emergency.
The party's troubles seem to have left two prominent 2012 prospects, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and 2008 presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, unscathed, however.
Palin has the potential to make far more money in the private sector than the $125,000 or so she has been making as governor.
Palin already had a deal with publisher HarperCollins to produce her memoirs, with publication planned for next spring. Terms of the deal have not been disclosed.
Six-figure book deals are common for high-profile politicos — President Barack Obama has made millions on his best-sellers — as are lucrative speaking tours and even their own talk shows after they leave office. One 2008 presidential candidate, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, landed his own show on the Fox News Channel. A Fox News spokesman said Friday that there have been no discussions with Palin.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_palin_resigning/print
--
Regards, Curly

A presidential bid. Someone who cannot handle the political heat of being a governor thinks she can handle being PRESIDENT?
Her political career is toast.

Sarah and Todd Palin have set their course on being the poster family for the lunatic fringe. They've endeared themselves and happily displayed their poor parenting as if the Christian thing is to allow your young teen daughter to have a live-in fuckbuddy.
And they were proud of it, marching the bloated 17-year old in front of cameras baiting the media until one wise-ass took the bait.
Yeah, Sarah's political career is toast but they're going to make a fortune speaking out on abstainence<gag>, family values, god, and secession.
--
Regards, Curly

While every Democrat is the poster-child for ABORTION!

Do you have any idea how stupid that generality makes you look?
--
Regards, Curly

We'll see. I consider every Democrat "the lunatic fringe", along with a slew of Republicans. Why does the left insist I pay their healthcare? Why does the fringe left insist on tripling my energy costs for unproved "science" that no one is even allowed to question? Why does the fringe left insist on spending three generations of everybody's income? Why does the fringe left drive wealth creation and wealth creators out of the US? Cheese-check anyone? ...er, everyone?

-------
Did you invoke MY name?
I think the majority of democrats are simply misguided by media malpractice. Then there are the really crazy democrats like Smudge.

Because the "Republican Lunatic Fringe" insist that you pay their healthcare in an equally unacceptable deceit, monopolistic health care owned by corporations, big pharm, monopolized providers with no competition. Pay or die.
The Democrats push a program less costly but equally bad as what you, as a Republican, protect. It's called "blowback." Stop your radical programs for there is an equal and opposite reaction.

That's the problem with big government. You argue against their programs, they argue against yours. Neither of you have right to dictate, power yes, right no. Who is not "allowing you to question" and how?

everybody's income?
Try asking them, I'm not interested in arguing your straw men.

It's not the "fringe left" but the wealthy and corporations which transcend party lines. Arguing whether the "fringe left" or "fringe right" has moved more jobs and industry off-shore is a waste of energy. They're both guilty and you're defending one by attacking solely the other.
--
Regards, Curly

Due to unfettered liability, doctors have to order many, many unnecessary expensive tests just to cover their asses. The entire healthcare industry is a constant target for millions of lawyers wanting billions of dollars.

Was anyone allowed to testify to Congress with opposing views about AGW??? I THINK NOT!!! It would have interfered with tripling my energy costs.

What a horseshit excuse for the triillions the dems are spending. Strawman my ass!

Why do you think companies move offshore? CLUE: Lower costs. Dems drive costs to companies through the roof with taxes, expensive energy, unreasonable laws and big union bullies.

True, yet another monopoly running up the cost of health care.

"AGW"? Global Warming?

Not my issue, in this thread. Start another topic to discuss that. You'll find that I'm an economic conservative and am strongly against the spending programs of both major parties.

A byproduct of _both_ the Republicans and Democrats. By villifying only the Democrats you by essence defend the Republicans.
--
Regards, Curly

What Tom is villifying is the vast majority of American's refusing to adopt the standard of living enjoyed in places like SE Asia and China. He apparently believes that cutting wages and benefits to match theirs is the only, or at least a desirable, way to compete. That policy is the policy of todays Republican Party if you listen to what they propose. No thinking conservative would ever embrace that and we don't. The proof that Tom and his fellows are full of it is Germany, a country that exports hugely, has higher labor and tax costs than the US does and generally enjoys a higher standard of living. That wouldn't be the case if Tom were right.
The really odd thing is the large number of Americans willing to vote against their own interests and support politicians who mouth Tom's nonsense.
JC

Germany pays better wages because their employees are more productive because they don't have unions that blackmail management for the lowest possible production standards and protect unlivable workers. The German government isn't completely bought and paid for by unions. The German government strives to promote wealth creation in it's borders rather than drive it out. The German education system is far superior to the US with far less DM/pupil. Oh...it's you John...never mind. Go back to your Utopia creation.
I still have lots of relatives in Freiburg and I'll bet their energy prices don't triple nor will they spend trillions and trillions of borrowed money for nothing. I'd bet Freiburg would love another manufacturing plant.

I see you've never worked in Germany. I have, and just getting onto the shop floor as a GM contractor to work on an experimental tool at Krauss-Maffei in Munich was serious heartburn. I was reminded of the times I've heard guys bellyaching about electriicians changing light bulbs in UAW organised auto plants.
Also, no worker is more productive dollar wise than an American. Productivity increases over the last thirty years have been astonishing. Equally astonishing is the same lack of growth in wage and benefit packages on the manufacturing floor during the same period. Wages and benefits have actualy declined in the face of a near tripling in productivity. You know this Tom which makes your stance equally astonishing as it flies in the face of well known facts.

There is that but they do it by protecting thier industrial base and economy with tarrifs and other devices. They do not, for example, allow the market to determine the number of imported vehicles. They also have national health care plans that keep insurance companies from breaking the backs of employers. They are taxed for this b ut you only pay taxes when there is a profit. GM would have seen it's operating costs decrease significantly had we something like that. Thay might even have been able to stay in business.

German parents are serious about their children and don't treat schools as baby sitting services. They remind me of Asian parents in this regard and even so they have periods of high unemployment with their young workers.

You should have asked them before responding Tom. They pay the highest electric rates in the world because they are subsidizing solar roof panels. Damned things are everywhere.
Try as you will Tom, you will never square your arguments with the reality that what has failed is America's leaders and leadership. A group you claim admission to by your comments.
JC
<snip>

You ain't seen nothin yet! Failed leadership---it's here in spades!

reality
No you fool, the failed leaders just left in January.

I'm game, educate me as to which political entities have raised corporate taxes? Corporations should not be taxed at all. They just pass it on as an expense and add a percentage for overhead and profit. Unions in the US are often detrimental to productivity and costs. Again these costs get passed on. You can't say "union" and "Republican" in the same sentence. In Japan, unions work well with management to control costs, boost productivity. They are paid better than US union people, not by coercion but by increased profitability. The US government is one of the biggest impediments to wealth creation and prosperity for it's people. Do you know nothing about the democrats' energy agenda using the AGW scam as a method to attain more power and money bilked from the people? I'm ashamed of the thieves and I'm ashamed at the people that blindly follow them. This country is NOT headed for Utopia.
Buerste wrote:

Then Ban Lawyers.
RCM only
On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 02:08:33 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"

2 points, sir.
-- Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. -- Eugene S. Wilson

One could hope that the attacks on Sarah and her family would stop now, but it just won't happen, will it Smudge?
On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 19:58:35 -0500, Mitchell Holman

Her political career was toast as soon as she went in front of national TV without a teleprompter.