oil rate air tools

Hi everyone

What is a reasonable oil rate for air tools?

Reason for asking is - my T-shirts become black with oil from tool exhaust.

When you see a bottle of air tool oil it says something like "put 5 drips of oil down the tool's air hose every day".

The oilers are set for a drip every 10 seconds - that's about 2800 drips a day!

(Get to a drip every 5seconds and you start seeing visible runs of oil out of the tool - but have been told one tool manufacturer recommended this rate!)

Tools are big two-handed die-grinders, using "finger stones" about

25mm dia, if you wanted to know (also have angle-grinders, but these much-less usage time)

Even if the tools lasted half as long (these tools last at least a decade on two-shift, 16hr-a-day operation) you'd want to avoid having so much oil on you.

???

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

On 04 Jul 2009 10:11:43 +0100, the infamous Richard Smith scrawled the following:

I seldom used mine for more than five minutes at a time (usually ten second spurts) and found that a couple drops a day was sufficient for an auto mechanic's tools.

Erm, taht's too much oil.

Way too much, IMHO.

OK, die grinders need more for their constant high-speed use, but that still seems like extreme overkill. For my own use, I'd probably oil the thing at each session. 2 shifts, 2 oilings per day.

So buy or make exhaust deflectors for those messy tools.

P.S: That much oil coming out is a skin, floor, and air hazard/contaminant.

-- Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. -- Eugene S. Wilson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That is too much. Most oilers are set to put out too much. Heck, many old compressors loose enough oil to lube everything in the plant..

How many hours a day do you use the tools in question?

Wes

Wes

8 hours a day

Rich

Reply to
Richard Smith

Hi all

Thanks for advice, as always when I come here for help. The answer I arrived at

Fabric sleeve over air-motor part of die-grinder, filtering and slowing-down / diffusing exhaust.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith