Myford |ML7 Rebuild

I know there's only so much of this stuff you guys can take, with the monthly comics being full of this kind of write up, but for those with
the intestinal forbearance to wade through it, or if you're just bored, then the story of the rebuild is here:
http://www.onepoint6.co.uk/Myford/index.html
Oh, and it's for sale btw. Not cheap, but then again neither was the work.
Peter

Superb Peter, both the lathe and the article. I've not been very active of late (health issue) but was able to enjoy reading about your re-build. I'm sure with your excellent pictures and detailed write up, that it adds a great deal of information for those interested in re- building their Myford. Well done
Certainly looks a good buy to me.
Best regards
Keith (lost in Wales)
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:58:27 -0700 (PDT), jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Keith, nice to hear from you again. Glad you're still around, I was going to drop you an e-mail but I've left your addy on the 'old' pc.
Sorry to hear about your ill health, whatever it is I hope you get better soon, and find the urge to get baack in the workshop.
Peter

Nice restoration! Now to do mine!
Steve R.

Lovely job.
Were the original dripfeed oilers OK or did you find some replacements ? The ones Myford now sell are nasty, and don't fit properly - the left hand one hits the motor belt guard. I've wondered about replacing them with a continuous feed system with the reservoir somewhere more convenient.
-adrian
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:12:36 +0100, Adrian Godwin

Arc's new catalogue has an interesting-looking feed system with a spring-loaded one-shot pump. Not in stock until later in the year though. The fittings are M8, so some not-easily-reversible mods to the lathe would be involved unless you made suitable adapters.
Regards, Tony.

Adrian.
I have also been recently frustrated by the new Myford drip lubricators, as has Tony, so I have today ordered type GSF 130 from Adams who made the original oilers http://www.adamslube.com/Oilers_Main/Oilers_Cat_PDF/Drip_Feed_Lub.pdf
I'll report back in a few days when they have been fitted and tested.
Cliff Coggin.

How much do the Adams oilers cost? I bought 2 oilers from Myford last year (not fitted them yet), they look very cheap and nothing like the originals. I'm very surprised to see Myford selling such poor quality items when decent ones are obviously available, pity I didn't know about the Adams one's beforehand. I would be very interested in getting 2 of the Adams ones.
Dave

If the oilers you bought are like these
http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/cliffcoggin/?action=view&current=IMG_1497a.jpg which I bought from Myford last year, they are utter rubbish. The oil (SAE 32 as recommended) does does not drip off the tip of the needle valve, instead it runs smoothly down the inside of the sight glass so one does not have the faintest idea of flow rate. This was also the experience of another person on the MyMford group who bought them.
I also found that after a few hours of use that the oil flow ceased entirely. I am not certain why this happened but I suspect it is the lack of a vent hole in the lower sight glass allowing the chamber to become air-locked.
Cliff.

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/cliffcoggin/?action=view&current=IMG_1497a.jpg
I forgot to mention that the Adams oilers were 50 including postage and tax.
Cliff.

Please do let us know! I bought my ML7 new in the 70s, and the filter screen has come loose in one of the oilers. I would like to replace it, but Vancouver Island is a long way from suppliers!
Steve R. In Sooke, B.C.

It is possible to disassemble the oiler, then replace the filter screen. You can either use fine wire mesh or slightly open-weave cloth. The ones on mine are currently made out of strips of old cotton handkerchief sewn into closely fitting cylinders.
Mark Rand RTFM

The oilers on mine are the later domed plastic type. There is no obvious way to take them apart.
Steve R.

Are the the same as mine Steve? If so then just keep unscrewing the valve and the the whole thing will lift out, as the whole thing just clamps together via this.
Peter

IIRC the domes unscrew off the central tube once you've removed the adjuster nut for the valve lifter,
The gasket will probably be damaged in the process and there is a real risk that the dome will crack. This is why my ML7 currently has one done type and one brass roofed type...
Mark Rand RTFM

I'm surprised that you didn't use the linings out of your pocket and put them to some use ..
John S.
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:49:51 -0700 (PDT), John S

I didn't realize they had linings. Hard to tell when the pockets are sewn shut :-)
Mark Rand RTFM

Perhaps my extensive collection of clothes dryer lint has a use after all?
Steve R.

I received and installed the Adams drip feed lubricators today, and am delighted to say they work superbly. The needle valve lever is chunkier and less elegant than the originals as you can see here:
http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/cliffcoggin/?action=view&current=IMG_1528a.jpg
The locking nut is also a bit fiddly reach, but once set the flow rate seems to be constant. The spring closures on the oil filling points are a match for the originals, and infinitely better than the flimsy slides on the current Myford offering. I can recommend them to anybody needing to fit new lubricators.
Cliff.
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:12:36 +0100, Adrian Godwin

Thanks Adrian. Yes, the old drip feed oilers work perfectly. Just cleaned 'em up and put new felt filters in them and they're still perfect.
To all those having problems with Oilers, JS & Myford JIm are working on a solution, or they will be as soon as I get of my arse and finish the mould design <G>.
Peter