Feedscrew upgrade for Myford ML7

Hi

I recently got a Myford ML7 lathe, it's in good nick except that the shaft for the cross slide feed screw is bent at the end (probably someone hit the handle by accident) so the micrometer dial is rubbing on the end bracket.

I will have to order a new feed screw and maybe a dial too, but I wonder if it is possible to convert the the micrometer dial. I want it to be adjustable, independent of the feed screw (like most modern lathes. I have seen that the Super 7 has this feature, is it possible to use feed screw parts for a Super 7 on a ML7? If yes, I surely have to exchange the handle, micrometer dial, bracket and some other small parts as well.

An alternative is to convert to a 3rd party feed screw set up, I'm sure I have seen it somewhere on the web, but can't remember where.

Reply to
thstaubo

Myford make a resettable micrometer dial to fir the ML7 top-slide and cross-slide screws. I can't find the part number at the moment, but if you can afford to phone them or write a letter I'm sure that they will know the number!

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I don't know how the Myford dial works but I do know that you can probably straighten the screw instead of replacing it. Do you have a mill or drill press and a vise? If so, here's a way to straighten the shaft. First determine where the bend is. You can do this by rolling on a piece of plate glass. Another way is to put the shaft in a collet in the lathe or hold it in a chuck that runs true. Mark the high side and write down the error. If the shaft is 5/16" (8mm) or smaller in diameter I think the straightening can be done in your lathe. But you better check with a Myford owner first. If using the lathe rotate the spindle until the high spot is pointing awa from you. Slip a piece of close fitting over the bent shaft up to the bend. The bend should be right up against the collet or chuck jaw face(s). Mount an indicator such that when you pull on the pipe it touches the indicator and you can see the amount of deflection. Release the pipe and check to see if the shaft is starting to bend back. Do this in small increments. Once the shaft starts to bend it will do so pretty fast and it is then easy to bend it back too far. If using a drill press or mill use the quill with a piece of brass or alumonum rod in the chuck to press down on the shaft while it is clamped in the vise with soft jaws. You can use the quill stop to regulate how far each bend is. Once again, do this slowly and you should be able to get that shaft straight within .001" easily. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Myford

supplies a resettable dial according to one of the other posters. There are also several designs out there for self made conversions, the best of which (in my opinion) was drawn up by G H Thomas and published in Model Engineer magazine.

sells two books of his collected works and I am reasonably sure the adjustable dial is in the Workshop Manual, though I am not certain. They may sell a kit as well but I hhave not dug deeply into their site. Worth a look though.

The leadscrew can likely be straightened to "good enough" with a bit of careful pressure once it is removed from the slide. Simply grasping the good portion in the chuck and allowing it to rotate under power will show where the bend is. You may be able to tweak it back in line while still in the chuck or you may wish to mark the shaft and bend it on the bench or with a press.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

There's a digital handwheel now available for the ML7's cross slide (nb not for the Super 7) which is pictured on page 52 of this month's Model Engineer's Workshop magazine. It comes with rotary encoded digital readout unit reading in mm and inches (switchable); ball handle; 2 needle roller thrust bearings & 1 ball bearing; 20TPI leadscrew and bronze nut all for =A3125 including VAT and UK carriage. Allegedly simple to fit. Worth considering if you intend to change yours. Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

does not work.

Yes, I should be able to straighten the leadscrew if i'm careful, but it would be really neat with a resettable dial on my ML7, on both the cross slide and top slide.

I'll call my local Myford dealer and ask them if they have a conversion dial.

Reply to
thstaubo

That's odd. I clicked on it on your post and it got me back to the Hemingway Kits Website. One of the security settings on your browser set too high to allow the site to load, perhaps.

Be sitting for the price quote, preferably in a soft chair. You may find that you do not want to buy a new leadscrew.

I have had an ML7 and currently have a Super7. I am not sure whether they utilise the same leadscrew parts or not between the fixed dial and the resettable dial machines.

I'd be intersested to know what Myford has to say.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones