Myford ML7 + oilers

Hi all Just bought 2 brand new Adams oilers for my ML7 lathe but I was surprised to see, after trying to set the drip rate, that over-night both oilers had completely emptied. I was using engine oile in the old oilers but changed to Nuto H32 for the new oilers. H32 seems a lot thinner to me. As I understand it, the oilers are 'off' when the little handle is horizontal and 'on' when it's straight up. I got the drip rate down to approx 10 minutes and I've re-newed both fibre washers. Any idea's what I'm doing wrong?

Reply to
BRAD

Needle valve seats need lapping?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

~On brand new oilers? Brad

Reply to
BRAD

You asked for suggestions (implicitly) - it was a suggestion, toss it away if you don't want it !!!!!!!!!!

If they leak when closed down and are set right then apparently :)

Are you sure that you've adjusted them correctly so that the needle sits firmly in the seat when 'shut'

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Sorry if I showed any disrespect, I just thought that brand new oilers shouldn't 'leak'. I've tried to find info on these oilers but there's very little around. I'll probably email Adam's. Thanks for your help. Brad.

Reply to
BRAD

I bought Adams oilers a couple of years ago and found they were fine. Evidently yours are not sealing when closed which suggests either they need to be adjusted or they are faulty.

Cliff Coggin Kent England

Hi all Just bought 2 brand new Adams oilers for my ML7 lathe but I was surprised to see, after trying to set the drip rate, that over-night both oilers had completely emptied. I was using engine oile in the old oilers but changed to Nuto H32 for the new oilers. H32 seems a lot thinner to me. As I understand it, the oilers are 'off' when the little handle is horizontal and 'on' when it's straight up. I got the drip rate down to approx 10 minutes and I've re-newed both fibre washers. Any idea's what I'm doing wrong?

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Could it be that the position of the lever for off isn't horizontal, so they were still on ? I can't remember which way round they were on my Uncle's 1950 ML7.

Reply to
houstonceng

That is what I was going to say. In my mind "OFF" when pointing up makes sense. When the lever is horizontal the adjuster nut can move the needle up and down.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I can confirm that Adams oilers are closed (off) when the lever is horizontal.

Cliff Coggin Kent England

Could it be that the position of the lever for off isn't horizontal, so they were still on ? I can't remember which way round they were on my Uncle's

1950 ML7.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Now that has confused me altogether !! Brad

Reply to
BRAD

Now that has confused me altogether !! Brad

I took my old oilers apart many times in vain attempts to repair them, (one seat had broken and both plastic reservoir domes were cracked,) before giving up and buying new ones. Hence I know that when the lever is lowered a spring pushes the valve stem onto its seat: when the lever is raised it lifts the valve stem off its seat to allow oil flow.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin