Another one bites the dust

Visited Louth (North Lincolnshire) today, and made my way to J & N Models for my adrenalin shot whilst my better half was clothes shopping, to find the shop closed and business obviously 'folded'. A great pity as it wasn't a bad litle business, even Bachmann retailer of the year a few years ago.

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

Yes Neil & Jill Gladwin only started trading in 2004 and got the =93Bachmann Retailer Of The Year=94 award in 2005.

Dragon Heart

Perhaps they spent a HUGE amount of money with Bachmann in 2004/5 and then found it didn't sell through?

Reply to
Brian Watson

or placed a huge order and it was never delivered

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Less than a year ago, they moved from a smallish unit in the local market hall, to a larger one, which they never quite seemed to fill. I wonder if this was the turning point? Increased rent and council rates ?? It's a great pity as they are a lovely couple and I will miss my area of tranquility whilst my wife was shopping. I had just started to be able to buy a bit from them. Just hope an even smaller shop even closer to home dosen't do the same. At least I've got one or two within striking distance, which will be more than some of you guys (and lassies!) have, no doubt.

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

I've never met them, but if they have failed I feel for them - loosing your business is an intensley personal thing - at least on a par with loosing a child. Those who havan't had the pleasure will never understand.

It just goes to show that supporting your local shop, even if they do cost a bit more, is worthwhile if you like to browse. I'd dearly love to have a local model shop at all...... one doing O would be even better.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

as one drops another opens. Theres a (relatively) new one in loughborogh now. Met them at GCR yesterday, nice people, good prices etc.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

ote:

om...

Where in Loughborough & name ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

te:

It's OK saying 'support your local shop' but not all model shops support you !

These comments have been aired on this forum previously, some by myself, but some model shop owners / assistants are not people sort of people and some are out & out child / novice unfriendly.

Some have not / will not move with the times ( admittedly some can't afford to ). Some look / are grubby and the stock is old with the box's yellowing with age.

It looks like the Gladwin's tried to upgrade but for some reason failed.

In my old home town the town centre has moved several times in my lifetime. Have your new shop in the wrong place and you will get NO passing trade. The old market stalls now cost a fortune to rent, our own market place has been deserted by the stakeholders and they have returned back to the old original market place.

I know only too well running a small business is a 24/7 task, sometimes with little or nothing to show for your hard work but in order to survive you need to give the customer what they want and in this day and age it's down to price for the vast majority of the sales. You want something 'special' you expect to pay more.

Yes support your local good model shops but also support your local club if you can .... it may soon be the only place you can get help & advice !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Where in Loughborough & name ?

Chris

Meadow Lane.

be at Donington this sunday. Theyre very child friendly - his nibs spent about half an hour playing with their youngsters.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well, each unto their own, but if a shop cannot sell stuff they will never have the new stuff in, and closure becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If revenue does not support "modernisation" or keeping up-to-date stock then effectively boycotting the shop will simply hasten the end. With the huge range of, particularly 00, stuff available these days there is no chance of anyone stocking everything. The overall decline in numbers of modellers and consequent downward pressure on margins, coupled with a seemingly ever increasing rate of product launches (thereby devaluing stock already held) makes keeping stock on the shelf even worse, or even dangerous. The question is does one want to pay a premium, or rather not get a discount, for a local shop or not I suppose. Use it or lose it as they say - but don't expect "the big boys" to stock that interesting or obscure little bit you need. Since we packed in mail-order I get two or three calls a day *pleading* to be sent some bit that no one else lists, but sadly these are usually the same people who automatically click on Scroggins web site for the routine stuff - even when Scroggins are NOT the cheapest. As an aside, since we stopped mail order turnover has nearly doubled, which goes to show how much of a distraction and drain on resources mail-order is to a business trying to do both....

I fear clubs have some way to go in attracting new, particularly younger, blood, for the reasons that get aired regularly on the various web sites and forums. For myself I prefer the web for info as one gets a much wider range of opinions rather than "percieved wisdom" - akin to a brain-strorming session over than a lecture!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Same thing happened to a shop in Gosport in the 1980's opened in a small shop then a couple of years later moved to a much bigger store and within a year or so closed down.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks Simon

.... 'er indoors went for a bit of R & R and went to have her hair done so I was in charge of his nibs. We walked around town, did a bit of shopping etc. and he was really good ( he does have autism ) so as a reward, but against my better judgement, we visited our local model shop.

They close at 1.15 for lunch but we arrived at 1 pm. The wife suggested we get him a treat of a loco or some rolling stock so I was bending down looking at the display cabinet and the owner put the lights out ! It was only 1.05 !

Support him ? You have to be joking !!!!!!

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

wrote:

I fully agree Richard BUT ( and not wishing to sound harsh ) that's business !

I take it independent model shops get little or no support off the manufacturers ?

If not then I suggest the manufacturers feel they don't need you ?

Model electrical components appear to be moving, regrettably, towards the 'throw away society'.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

there are ways of hinting it would be nice to go early for some reason and there are ways of hinting that someones not bothered about your custom.

My mother could stun a customer at 30 ft with just a look. They would apologise for interrupting and promise to return at a more convenient time. :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

...trim their replies?

Reply to
Jerry

Fully agreed - but, if people won't use their local shop for whatever reason then they really shouldn't be complaining when it closes, that's the other side of the coin.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I get the feeling the same happened with Wycombe Models & Engineering when they expanded into the next door premises. Shortly after that they closed down. Can't help feeling they overstretched themselves without a good solid business plan.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

rote:

Anyone experienced Transport Treasures? They were Bachmann retailer of the year in 2003 and it looks like they've still got all of the stock piled up in boxes in the shop. God knows what a fire safety officer would say if he paid a visit.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Nope - not during a general discussion - it preventrs people jumping in half way through and getting the wrong end of the stick!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd