Made in China?

Not forgetting the inability of companies to train these days...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Don't Bachmann own their own factory? I think Hornby rely mainly on the people who manufacturer for Life-Like, and I suspect are benefiting from a slack order book from the USA because of the comparative weakness of the US$.

I agree about the eggs all being in one basket though which is why I raised the issue in the first place.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The lady in charge of quality control at the toy factory asked each employee in turn if they'd been trained to assemble the loco correctly and they all agreed that they had. One of the jobs in the supermarket involves placing a sheet of greaseproof paper on the scales, then placing a slice of meat on the greaseproof paper. A staggering number of girls were incapable even of doing that. They have to draft in older women from the canteen dept to fill in for them.

As far as I can tell an ever increasing number of job seekers are leaving school without the most basic of handicraft and housekeeping skills.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Clarify it for us then Jerry?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Maybe not a *legal* obligation but there was certainly a moral and strategic obligation.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Canada's biggest military ally *was* the US. The biggest ethnic minority in Canada is French is it not? That probably had a bigger influence on the Canadian governments decision than anything else.

The west has much more invested in China than model railways. If a large part of Iraq's infrastructure had been owned by American corporations (like they are now) I very much doubt either Bush would have gone to war with them.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , John Turner writes

It's probably both, i.e. they (the supermarket managers) are thick and they won't pay the market rate.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Well, obviously that hadn't, no need to ask, part of the training should have been the reasons why it's vital to assemble the item correctly.

One of the jobs in the supermarket involves placing a

Again, it comes down to a lack in the HR dept. and their selection / training of recruits, the people who are failing are the supervisors etc. not necessarily those who are trying to do the job.

I once had to complain about a member of a meat counter staff, she wasn't wearing the required hat correctly (allowing the hair at the front of her head to fail above the meat she was serving), although she was technically at fault the real problem was that she wasn't getting the supervision she needed as a new member of staff - although a supervisor was standing within yards of her....

Oh, I agree, but it's not the fault of the kids - after all they keep being told that it's bits of paper employer want and not practical skills, out goes metalwork, proper 'Home Economics' and any number of other practical skills and in comes the need to store facts and figures and then the recalling of them to obtain that bit of (in real terms) worthless paper....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"I do hope that Bachmann and Hornby etc. have continuance plans for when either the above happens or (more likely) the 'production slots' that are expected go to another company - Talk about all the eggs in one basket, not just from one roost but the whole hen house...."

The point about not getting production slots, for what ever reason, I wonder what their 'Plan B' is....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

LOL - best laugh of the day! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

Not to mention an inability to use the English language properly.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Is that true, or are they just unwilling to pay the market rate, or unwilling to spend money on training? Or maybe all the school leavers have gone to university, so there aren't any left to recruit!

Training costs money, so many companies want staff who are ready trained at someone else's expense - and they complain when a school doesn't provide this because it is busy educating rather than training.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Biggest militrary ally? Canada is bigger than the USA, and which country of the two was it which sent troops last time Britain was genuinely under threat?

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

True, but the USA did send hardware, something that we were lacking, it was about all FDR could do at the time (politically speaking) - until our other enemy (and German 'allied' force) decided to attack a certain Pacific navel base...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Expand on that please, were is the 'moral' obligation, even if one accepts the strategic need for cheap oil.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You're joking, right? How is one morally obliged to join in a war of agression?

Reply to
mark_newton

As one who spent 12 years working for tesco as a Fresh Foods stock controller, I can guarentee the above will therefore become Store Managaers!!!

Reply to
Piemanlager

Invade the Isle of Wight.

Reply to
Brian Watson

Like operating a bar-code scanner and a till that calculates change due. They are completely non-plussed when faced with produce with no PLU code sticker. I was asked recently "Are those walnuts?" (which they were).

Yet they seem able to master the intricacies of bit torrents. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

I went into a McDonald's in Glasgow just as it was opening at 9:00 a.m. (strewth!), and was greeted with "Whit jiz efter?"

[Most N.A. McDonald's open at 6:00, or are open 24 hours.]
Reply to
MartinS