Made in China?

I suggest you consider what Maggie needed with all the problems you mention - i.e. something to distract the voters.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Gentlemen! this place is growing more akin to rec.crafts.metalworking all the time. Keep it up. :-)

Define "it", define "up"/

Mike in BC

Reply to
mcgray

And I've already told you, if you were correct (which you are not, as history proves) she would have cut and run within weeks of the Falklands conflict - not 12 months and many a job lose later. Learn the facts and not the rumours.

The Thatcher government used short term economic booms as the sweetener, just as the Blair government is using short term give-a-ways now....

I'm not supporting either side in this BTW, just that urban myths need stamping on and the facts need stating.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Just try typing 'Thatcher Falklands Factor' into Goole and see what you get.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Oh, you mean various pages from "Spiked online", WTF does that prove...

Try looking at the facts and not someone's interpretation, the election was 12 months after the Falklands conflict, FACT. If you were correct then I would have expected the election within 12 weeks not 12 months....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , John Turner writes

I think they were. But the original name of Eire was Irish Free State. Remember, there was a Jubilee named as such. They broke away in the early 20s, but they still technically existed as part of the UK for a while, before becoming a proper republic.

Reply to
James Christie

Perhaps you chose to ignore this

or this

and so on.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Ah but one needed time to "Rejoice, Rejoice" (at the sinking of the fleeing 'Belgrano') and to revell in the glory.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm not commenting on the morals of the war )or events in the war,, just that Thatcher didn't cash in on the victory, as has been and still is being suggested by someone who seems to want to rewrite history.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I put in axactly the words you said.....

Hardly 'on the back' of the war, the election was 12 months after, yes people weren't going to forget the war, but then they wouldn't have forgotten it by '84 when the election *had* to be held.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

I don't hold that view, I think there was a cynical attempt by Thatcher to glorify the war as an indicator of her (allegedly) great leadership. Certainly she was well behind in the opinion polls before the conflict, and much was made of it in the run up to the election.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:27:11 -0000, "John Turner"

It was, as were Canada, New Zealand, etc etc. Most of Ireland had left the UK in 1922 to become a separate dominion - though, like the Commonwealth of Australia, it wasn't called by that name, instead being a Free State. George VI was (nominally) king until the Republic of Ireland was created in 1949, at which point it had to leave the Commonwealth, as republics couldn't then be members (this was later changed, of course).

"Eire" is Irish for Ireland, as "Deutschland" is German for Germany.

Ob:u.r.m.r: I was tramspotting in Dublin last week, and saw a model shop with a 00 Jinty in NCC livery.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

FWIW, the "rejoice" comment was the previous week, in relation to the recapture of South Georgia, not about the events following the RN getting approval for their request to sink an enemy warship before it went into areas where submarines might have had trouble following it (and by sinking it, effectively removing a potentially troublesome enemy aircraft carrier from the equation).

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Yes, there seems to be a few on this group who are trying to rewrite history, perhaps their efforts would be better spent rewriting that of Dr Beaching.... !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Thatcher to

conflict, and

So I'll ask again, why was it 12 months before the election if she wanted to cash in on the victory ?...

I'm sorry, for all her faults, she can't be accussed of cashing in on the wars out come, except by those who are trying to rewrite history.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , Arthur Figgis writes

Do we have to have all these postings talking about god-knows-how-many years' old politics. Can we get back to model railways, please?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I think you mean sell, not send.

No, they were studying their navels, but it was a naval base that was attacked.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Was this Scotsman brought up in the North East of England?

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

So it remained on the 'left side' of the pond did it ?!...

And you need to find a clue....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Initially it was sent half way, once the going got tough we had to fetch it.

Sorry, your meaning escapes me.

Reply to
Ken Parkes