Made in China?

Much as I do enjoy winding up my friends in our American colonies vis a vis their country's lack of any military ability (as opposed to strength - their is a difference ) and the romantic (read blatantly dishonest) accounts of US actions in the last war as promoted by the likes of Disney, Spielberg et al I'm afraid I have to take you to task.

For instance may I suggest that you google for "Greer incident" that should bring up plenty of hits, hit the links and you also read of US destroyers targeting German submarines as early as Spring 1941 and even of US naval losses prior to Dec '41 as a consequence of their undeclared war against Germany.

Another interesting factoid often missed relates to the Bismarck sortie in May '41, as the Bismarck and the Prinz Eugen were making their run through the GIUK gap the US Battleships New York and Texas together with a flotilla of escorting destroyers crossed from the Western to the war zone in the Eastern Atlantic and also headed or the GIUK gap. By strange co-incidence the New York and Texas despite their age and antiquated engines where the only two US battleships in their Atlantic fleet equipped with radar.

It's easy to be disparaging in the light of post war events such as Suez and propaganda films such as "Saving Private Ryan" and "U571" however *at the time* many things were significantly different to your apparent belief.

Now then, what's this all got to do model railways? :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Oh no they don't, some are vegetarians.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Forgive me, not so much winding up USAians, more a case of winding up Jerry :)

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

My apologies in return, you clearly were on topic after all. :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Unfortunately, I haven't met any.

DS

Reply to
David Smith

Two Scotsmen apply for the same job. One speaks Scots the other RP [English]. Which of the two is more likely to be offered the job?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Come off it John. I'm sure you and your dear wife earn much more than that :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The national minimum wage for employees over 18 is currently £4.85 whether trained or not.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It is the duty of Britain and other allies to dissuade America from doing anything foolish but once they have embarked on a course of action it is our own interests to support them to the bitter end.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I'm a soldier, you're a civilian. Few civilians appreciate just how dependent the UK is on US military aid for its defence after decades of spending cut backs by successive governments. Had Britain and the US not gone to war, UN sanctions would still be in place, Saddam would have exchanged oil for even more Russian and French weapons, his secret police would still be torturing thousands of members of ethnic minorities, majorities even and hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children would be dying from starvation each year. It's the lesser of two evils.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

This thread is somewhat old and long, may I re-quote the remark that you made a few posts up this thread - you said;

My local supermarket is unable to recruit schoolleavers who can carry out the simplest of tasks.

You seem to be missing the point, how can someone who is (quite likely) fresh to the employment market have experience, the point about employment agencies and unskilled manual workers is neither here nor there, those people will have at least basic training for the position they are being hired for.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

century. We

I think we will have to agree to disagree on that, it's the duty of a nation to look after their OWN interests first and foremost, especially if it effects the safety of the nation or it's citizens.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

in

Personally I

That is the line we have been told to believe, yet this (and previous UK Governments) have failed to act in any country that doesn't have something that 'we' need, be that oil, food, or rock minerals - Zimbabwe is a prime example, considering the number of ex-pat UK passport holders, let alone Zimbabweans effected by the totalitarian leaders of that country...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Ah, I hadn't appreciated how well the British Army soldier is trained in killing with gun, knife, bare hand, and economic argument ;-)

That's a laudable sentiment. However, the war was not embarked upon with that aim. Had it been so, then I would possibly have deemed it moral. But the war was a private crusade by Bush et al for combination of oil revenues and whatever perverse thinking he had to "avenge" his father's failure to topple Saddam in the first Gulf war. And, to get public support, the governments lied (or at the very least, did some considerable stretching and selective quoting of the truth) about WMD. That's why I think it's an immoral war, because of its intent. There are some benefits, yes, but that doesn't make it moral.

R.

Reply to
Richard

In message , kim writes

But the same thing has gone in Sudan for decades, with millions dead. And now in the Congo, again with millions dead. We stood by and did nothing in Bosnia (until the killing stopped), and we stood by and did nothing in Rwanda. All those four cases are far more deserving a cause for our military attention than Iraq. But why? Any coincidence that the aforementioned countries have little in the way of Oil reserves?

Reply to
James Christie

Yes you have. It's the females which penetrate to get blood in most of the species. The males just hang around and irritate you.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Go broke.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

Well I suppose that's a better option than going to war! There's also increasing tension between Japan and China at the moment over disputed territorial waters, so a Far Eastern conflict isn't total fantasy.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

production in

disputed

Isn't the territorial waters problem related to the Twain issue, the problem with Japan is due to China claiming that Japan has re written it's history - namely what Japanese kids will be told in history books about the conflict between Japan and China in WW2.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Nope, Japan have just issued licenses to allow exploration for gas in disputed territorial waters.

John.

Reply to
John Turner