Yes! We're #1!

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people
By Laura MacInnis Tue Aug 28, 1:25 PM ET
GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100
citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said. ADVERTISEMENT
U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.
About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.
"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.
India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.
Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.
On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.
France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.
"Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.
"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.
The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.
Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.
"Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.
Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.
Only 605 million to go!

I thought everyone in Switzerland had to have a rifle or is it just the men?
Karl

RCM only
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:55:20 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm,

Just men, but women are encouraged, too. More info here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1566715.stm
--
According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life

"From an early age Swiss men and women associate weaponry with being called to defend their country."
Used to be the same here. Individuals owned and practiced with guns to be able to use them in defense of the country or themselves.

Those aren't "civilian" arms. That's the Swiss militia, and the rifles are owned by the government.
However, there are a lot of privately owned firearms in Switzerland, as well.
-- Ed Huntress

Oh, I thought every American was supposed to have three or more Swiss K-31's.
Wes

Nah..Ive only got 1..and never shoot it because ammo is just too damned hard to find.
Gunner

I figured you for a reloader.
As I've collected rifles used in miltaries around the world, I've noticed that US rifles seemed to be the ones best created for riflemen.
Wes

I am. There are no easily converted cartridges that make over to 7.5 Swiss. There are several..sorta kinda conversions...cringe.

The Americans went to war with a target rifle The Germans went to war with a hunting rifle The British went to war with a Battle rifle.
<G>
Gunner

That was originally an envious British slur on German and American rifles, cartridges and tactics.
It didn't help that they had been in the middle of a caliber change and were poorly prepared to resume high-volume production of the Lee- Enfield, so they had to contract their own latest rifle design to US factories (US WWI production was nothing to brag about either).
jw

Midway sells privi partizan ammo that is boxer primed.
Wes
There are custom houses that make what you need. Not a killer price, but real parts it is nice.
I'm getting my 6.5mm TC/U wildcat that is made from .223 normally by expanding the neck. I just expanded 100 new ones and now have enough to start loading a set and backups for a match. Hope to get into the swing of things - someday soon.
http://www.qual-cart.com /
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Wes wrote:

-

Hmm, I don't have anything Swiss. How the hell did I miss that?
Question: when counting Mausers, should I include the Arisakas and the M1903's?
Dave Hinz wrote:

As long as you don't forget the P14 and M1917 Enfields.
David

I also don't have an Eddystone. Odd, that. Are you coming to HGHA next month? If so I shall make every attempt to do so as well. Got some pics to show you. (Gunner has seen 'em, as has Iggy).
Dave

The pictures definitely inspire envy, in the better sense of the word. Great stuff.
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:26:42 -0500, Ignoramus3147

I dont do pictures..but..you might want to ask Larry J about my stuff...
Gunner
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:16:27 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

Aw, we only looked at 30 or 40 of your closet rifles and pistols. I still haven't seen them all by a wide margin, but there sure was a wide and varied selection we did look at. I only wish I'd had that extra day to go plinking with them. Lotsa fun, either way.
The Machine Gun Shoot is on Monday at my range and I'm going with money in my pocket. Time to play! I tried a 90 round mag in an AK last year and it was also lotsa fun. I think I'll try out the MaDeuce Twins this time, or an M-16 and...

It was probably not as fun to the AK though.