Yes! We're #1!

Of course it is what you thought , and a snappy come back to follow ...

naturaly , Id not expect less from an american , they are the best , just ask em

Reply to
Myal

One thing you learn from traveling to places you've imagined is that you can't generalize about people in any country the way you're doing here. Another is that your imaginings from half a world away always, always turn out to be ludicrously simplified and cockeyed.

I'm sure that I'd find that to be the case if I had the opportunity to travel to Australia. My travels to other countries, though, are enough to tell me that I'd have no business generalizing about the people of Australia, their attitudes, or their character until I had a chance to spend at least six months or a year living there. And I would be cautious about generalizing, even then.

It's always more complex (and more interesting) than you imagine. You can no more guess what these attitudes we're discussing here are all about than I can guess at what has made you so dismissive and bitter.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

true ,I have never been to america , I did think about it cos I got family there I want to track down , but I changed my mind about bothering with it .

I base my opinion of americans on the ones I have met , worked with , and just watched going about their business here . I have seen more US navy ships stopping by here than I can count , and seen how americans act . I have had to work alongside ex US navy radio techs , I have been barman serving the american back packers ...

I make my judgement on what americans are like based on what the americans I met and know are like . Maybe its only when they come here they f*ck anything that moves , they are arrogant pissheads with samrt alec cracks and comebacks they learn from seinfeld reruns ...

there are a few I met that are cool people to know , they actually think independantly , and are capable of conversation outside of government and guns .... unfortunately these guys seem to be waaaaayyyyy in the minority

but this aside , your govt still has to do a hell of a lot more to keep its people placated than a lot of others do ...

Reply to
Myal
[...]

Alright. But I still think that our gun ownership society is worth a lot more in theory than it'll ever be in practice.

Reply to
B.B.

I sure wish we didn't have to police the world, too! . .

Reply to
(David P.)

you dont , no-one forced you to train and fund and arm al-quieda and the taliban either , now its come back to bite ya ...

you are dealing with problems you created , that is all

Reply to
Myal

Our govt could not find there own ases with both hands, our kids are buying semi auto handguns from eastern europe for under £60.

Reply to
The Rifleman

I shouldn't try to do this in one line, but I don't disagree, if by "practice" you mean actually shooting the place up. The relationship I'm talking about is based on an understanding of who is in charge.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

As I read this I couldn't help but think about a dinner comment made by an old machine-tool exec from the UK twenty years ago or so, a veteran of WWII who spent his life traveling around the world selling his machines. "Australians? Except for the accent, they're just like Americans."

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Think outside the box and you would realize that we don't have to police the world. We do it because those in charge want us to.

Reply to
Bob Brock

Sounds like a pretty good deal. What kind are they getting?

Reply to
hot-ham-and-cheese

Most probably Glocks that were bought with US tax dollars and then 'lost' in Iraq. Tens of thousands of weapons have been handed out by the US in Iraq, and for a lot of them we no longer have any idea who has them. They have been showing up in Italy and Turkey in the hands of Mafiosi, and hit-men, and are drifting down to common street criminals.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Fight by the enemy's rules and defeat is guaranteed. Fight by any means necessary.

nick hull

The Fed govt is controlled by 645 people. How many organizations can stand 10% casualties? What does it take to remove 65 people trying to get re-elected every 2 years?

nick hull

And the govt that sucks more out of the people is a better dictatorship. I want a less efficient govt ;)

nick hull

Why would you attack the military?

Just get a list of the top political donors. :)

Reply to
Stuart Grey

One of the late night radio chat shows had a guy on saying Iraqi new issue AKs were getting all over europe, wish I could find one :o)

Reply to
The Rifleman

???

House of Representatives: 435 Senate: 100 Supreme Court: 9 President: 1 Vice President: 1

Total: 546

Who are the other 99?

Reply to
Doug Miller

There are more donors than politicians ;)

nick hull

They're not part of the Federal govt.... :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller