Harrogate Show

Just a quick heads up that the Harrogate show is on next weekend Fri, Sat and Sun, 11th,

12th and 13th. Held believe it or not at the Harrogate show ground just off the A1 Usual trade stands and club stands and usually motley crew. I'm there all show so no excuse not to buy me a pint........................

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John,

If everybody buys you a pint, you won't be much use to Ketan- will you? :-)

Archie

Reply to
Archie

I'm ashamed to say that I'm giving it a miss this year. I've decided to spend the time working on lathes, mills and grinders (as opposed to working _with_ etc.). The decision was reinforced a couple of weeks ago when the quack put me on beta blockers to control angina. That in itself isn't a problem, but it makes blood glucose control a bit trickier for a diabetic. I need a bit more experience (or different drugs) before I'm happy driving 150 miles each way.

If things come together, I should have something to show for my efforts by the time of the Midlands, Fosse Way, exhibition if anyone wants to stop over, visit and have tea and bikkies on their way to or from the show.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

If I make it at all this year it looks like being the Sunday. I owe you a pint, buy you won't have time for one!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

In message , John Stevenson writes

Meet up at the bar 1230 to 1300 Saturday anyone?

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

Hmmm - I do plan to be there then, and could easily go home on Sunday - anyone know of some cheap accomodation within walking distance?

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Ill be there Saturday, It'd be nice to (finally) put some faces to the names on here.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

at:-

I know it is a real imposition but as I can't make it to Harrogate this year I'll just have to ask you to drink one for me as well :-) I can't even promise to join you from this end as we are spending a little time with my daughter and I have to be on my "best behaviour", at least I think that's what SWMBO meant although the words wern't exactly the same!! Anyway I hope it is an excellent show with enough "bargains" for everyone to enjoy.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Just a thought, but as I dont know anyone by sight, how will I meet anyone?

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

I'll be on the stand with my name on the top ;)

Van is packed - but I can't get off until I get a before 9am delivery - should have been here yesterday since I PAID for next day :(

Reply to
Lester Caine

at:-

Just got back from the show, it's bloody heaving! Arrived at 10:30 and had to queue for 20 mins to get in, then it's a fight to see anything. If model engineers weren't all retired, they'd be at work today and it'd have been a lot quieter ;)

Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

Sounds like Sunday is the day of choice then ;-)

Was it worth going though?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I imagine Sunday will be quieter. I've never been to an ME show so I can't say how it compares. All the main trade stalls are there, lots of opportunity to have a look/play with the machinery from Chester, Warco etc . Pity its not a bit more like the car/bike shows, where they have some attractive lady draped over the latest model ;)

ARC stall and RDG stall both very busy, and you can get to compare the things you want, I got a fixed steady from Chronos after looking at the quality of 2 or 3 others. Some interesting stuff to look at for DRO and CNC equipment suppliers, if you can get near, I'd like to have seen more, but that's just a dangerous temptation!

The second hall is nearly all model stuff, with displays I assume from clubs etc, not my thing so I didn't really look.

It's only 15 mins from may house, and I'm working tonight, so I couldn't stay long, but without any interest in models I think 2-3 hours is enough. If you want to see the model stuff, then it's probably be worth the journey for a day trip. If you live within an hour or so it's probably worth going to pick up any stuff you may need and save on the postage.

Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

In message , stooby-doo writes

You've John Stevenson on Arc Euro Trade stand - what more do you want..:-)))

Reply to
Pat Martindale

Apparently, you need a white stick ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

The place as you say was heaving, full of doddering pensioners and those below that age usually had huge beer bellies. In addition there were those that had dragged along wives and sometimes even had children or babies in tow. On top of that the wheelchair and powered buggy brigade were everywhere - and I mean EVERWHERE. I'm all for disabled access but this was quite clearly beyond a joke. They were queuing up in the aisles to pass each other. Imagine the buses on Oxford Street on a Saturday a week before Christmas and you won't be far from the mark. Manners in general were appalling. Lots of pushing and shoving and malingerers stood doing f*ck all right in front of displays or stalls. Other prats just stopped in narrow aisles talking crap to other malingerers and blocking the flow of people

The only thing I bought was wrongly sized so had to immediately go back so my total expenditure was 8 quid for about 3 or 4 hours of sheer hell plus my petrol.

One highlight that slightly lightened my day was the joker who wanted iirc 650 quid for a seriously secondhand myford gearbox, oh and the prices of new Myford lathes.

The show has outgrown this location and it's full of tight wads who just look and seem to do sod all buying. It seriously needs Friday to be made a premium day (NO CONCESSIONS) free of dodderers, cripples,wives and kids. If this can't be done then remind me never to go there again.

Victor Meldrew

Reply to
Victor Meldrew

Where do I start? - it would be a long list

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

This is true and was really annoying, trying to buy something while people are just looking or chatting to the workers on the stall.

I saw that too, I think they read eBay too much! Did you see the price of the second hand S7 Myford were selling? =A34500!!

Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

Not worth the £7 entrance fee, spent 3 hours there did not see an

bargains to buy but some really great models on display will go t Scorton auto jumble next sat sellers more in touch with the real worl and only £2 toget in. MB

-- malbenbu

this thread:

malbenbut

Hi MBB! I was the guy with the Inspector Clouseau hat- and the Mini but-----------!

Saw John S and bought some scales etc from Arc Euro and found Lester Caine behind a soldering iron. Came back complete with almost fully assembled Shumatech DRO which I wouldn't have got otherwise. Thanks, John, I hope you did get some eat and drink- eventually. Thanks, Lester, for doing a lot of fine soldering and testing which my old eyes cannot do any more.

I put in 190 miles worth of gas and the 7 quid- and true it was an expensive day but then?

Cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674