Taken the Plunge

Hello to all, as you will gather I'm a new poster to this group.
Enthusiasm, or a mid-40's 'I'm bored' crisis has finally overcome me
and I've taken the plunge to start a small model workshop in my garage, so I've just bought a new 10x22 chinese lathe from Chester and a VMC mill from Warco. As the wife & kids are away on a months holiday in Italy I will no doubt have some explaining to do when they arrive home.
I should explain that I have no interest in models, steam engines, trains, or whatever, I just want to be able to generate parts for ideas that I have and make small prototype mould tools.
I qualified as a toolmaker some 25 years ago but this was also the last time I touched a machine tool, so re-learning my (few) skills should prove interesting. No doubt I will make a few small mountains of swarf and break a few tools along the way.
I had joined a couple of the Yahoo! forums to get some background before I found this group, which has the advantage that it is predominantly UK based and has a number of very obviously knowledgeable and skilled people on board.
Reading through the posts on here has been very interesting and I seem to have identified strongly with Kevin's thread about 'workshopping' as a new hobby:) Hopefully in time I will be able to make some amusing, if not useful, posts on here.
Peter

Awesome. Colour me impressed. That's on a par with me buying a new front wheel for my vintage racing bike with Gert's maternity allowance some years ago.

I have always felt that the American term "Home Shop Machinist" is a far better term than "Model Engineer" Many of us don't make models but still have reasonable workshops and skills.

Welcome aboard, although the number of posts here aren't great the quality is very good and virtually everyone is helpful. What part of the country are you in?
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

I'm in Suffolk over in the East, in a little town called Hadleigh. There's only 3 surnames in the Town and most people have 6 fingers:)
I agree, the quality of posts on here is very good, particularly yours if I can say that without appearing sycophantic. I also found your website and spend hours looking through the links. Theres some amazing stuff there and proper good old fashioned creative engineering.
This is a particular bugbear of mine. In my industry (technical injection moulding)I deal with a lot of industrial designers, and whilst these guys are wizzkids on surface & solid modelling, I wish to **** they could have spent some time on a drawing board. Positional dimensions without a datum reference and an abundance of blend rads. showing a single blend endpoint without a rad centre to work from. Don't get me started on spline curves!
Thanks for the welcome.
Peter

Bloody hell - someone else in Suffolk. I'm in down the road in Sudbury Feel free to get in touch if you want.
regards
Charles
Visit http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk The free pages to buy and sell workshop equipment
Peter,
You wouldn't happen to work for a small Injection moulding company on a Hadleigh industrial estate near the Hadleigh Bypass. I used to visit them to install Robots, Piovan Star, onto the Moulding machines.
Martin P
Charles Ping wrote:

Charles Ping wrote:

Amazing, someone just down the road. Thats got to be a first for me in about 10 years on the net, and could prove useful. I certainly will get in touch Charles, and its nice to have another enthusiast in this neck of the woods.
Campingstoveman wrote:

Yes I do Martin, but not the one you're thinking of, as surprisingly there are 2 of us on the same estate. I take you mean Skar? Oddly enough I started my career there back in the mid 70's, then buggered off around the country and overseas then back again for the next 20 years, only to wind up 1/2 a mile down the road back in 2000. My place is here http://www.thermoplastics.co.uk .
One advantage of being in this business is an unlimited supply of small offcuts in P20, H13, EN30B, and of course EN1 from the toolmakers I deal with. They've also been incredibly generous in supplying older tooling & so on to help me set up my workshop.
regards
Peter
Peter,
Sounds like you are off to a good start, at least till the other half gets home. On the subject of model making, I have more work in progress than I care to think about. The bulk of my workshop activities seem to be making something in order to make something else, and usually ending in the repair of an item someone has asked me to look at... So I use the term loosely that I do Model engineering...
I am also interested in injection moulding, as a hobby, have a small CNC desktop machine for making wax masters, and use CAD... Oh well!!! That side came about for the garden railway bits, moulding railfreight and garden people, etc...
Hope you find lots to do and never finish a thing. LOL
Joules

Whether we mean to start off this way is a different thing but we all seem to end up at this point.
I have never been far away from engineering my whole working life but what got me started on the home shop side was my love of vintage racing bikes.
Unfortunately my skills as a rider were only matched by the force of gravity, the term "Horizontal Champ" springs to mind. So while I was making ten sets of new foot pegs for the coming weekend at Cadwell other people were saying could I make them a set as well.
It was whilst I was sat very uncomfortably in Louth General I realise that I got more enjoyment and less pain from making parts than breaking parts.
It spiraled from there..................................... now there is no hope............................................
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson wrote:

A similar passion is my excuse. I've had motorbikes all my life, but not really ridden at all in the last 15 years since getting married. About 6 years ago I decided I wanted another one, and bought a little GpZ500 twin as a crash damaged wreck, intending to get it on the road cheaply and quickly. Well 6 years on of course its still an unfinished project, as I seem to find another bit to 'fix' before I finally put it all together. One time I decided I would make some carbon fibre and aluminium silencers to replace the stock items. I found a source for the 100mm dia. CF tube, and had some end caps metal spun out of stainless for them. That was 4 years ago. Having decided to get on with this a few months ago, I needed some means of accurately radially drilling the rivet holes for fixing the end caps on the pipe, and well, one thing led to another and I ordered the lathe & mill.
The trouble is I've now consigned the bike to the spare garden shed where it's taking second place to the 'workshopping' hobby...... I also have an old TY175 twin shock trials bike that I've been meaning to fix for the past 15 years.
Peter
John Stevenson wrote:

Oh. I thought you meant beautiful LIGHT vintage racing bikes. http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/Butler_Claud/claud_butler_main.htm
BugBear (disappointed)
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:57:43 +0100, bugbear

Sorry no, pedaling one of those is far harder than even picking yourself up from the Gooseneck at Cadwell <g>
My era consisted of Manx Norton's, AJS 7R's, and the rare but nice sounding early works Japanese bikes.
It's rather sad when you have Ralph Brian's dropping 6 gears coming into Ramsey on a 1964 4 cylinder 125 Honda as a ring tone on your phone. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/honda4.mp3
Only problem is I hang on listening to it and the person on the other end rings off before it's back up to full chat..................bugger
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:30:33 GMT, John Stevenson

What about the little Kriedlers and what did Frantisek Stastny (Czech rider, spelling might be wrong) ride? was it a Jawa?
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:10:22 +0100, Prepair Ltd

Peter, Behave, they are two strokes
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
Hey, what's wrong with a two stroke? In my day I could have the engine out and big end changed and back in again within an hour on a Bezzer Bantam and with me head right down over the handle bars could get up to 30mph into wind!
Happy days ......my excuse to get my Myford ......
Alan
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:00:01 +0100, "Alan Marshall"

Mine's a Triumph TSS. One of the last machines to leave Meriden, Owned from new but only run for three years... Every one coming out then was a Friday afternoon job. We're going to the Island on it for our silver wedding anniversary, so I've got another 5 years to get the final details of the rebuild sorted and get it back on the road.
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark said ..........

So that's what the new workshop is all about!
Mike
--
Mike Whittome

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:34:08 GMT, John Stevenson

Yes, and what super little machines the Kreidlers were!
They still have a big following in Europe and a couple of websites with the 1960's stuff in them.
Jawa made that very nice split single IIRC...
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel

Our new arrival will like that. Ovenpaa? Think we should let the UKRM chaps know about this?
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester
Well the wife came home from Sicily last week, and much to my surprise, is not at all bothered by the new lathe in the garage and the impending arrival of the mill. The only stipulation was that I must now get the new bathroom I promised her, and figure out a way to stop all the 'sharp bits' as she says getting onto the carpets. Must have had a nice relaxing holiday.
Finally got the new lathe (the replacement one) working at the weekend too, after several days spent cleaning, aligning, adjusting gibs, and grinding tools, and did my first bit of screwcutting in 25 years yesterday.
Absolutely perfect with the the last few thou' to cut, when my 12 year bursts into the garage and I inadvertently engage the half nuts in the wrong position.....
Oh well, its all only practice anyway.
Peter
On 30 Aug 2005 08:05:21 -0700, "Peter Neill"

More to the point did you engage his half nuts in the right position <g> ??? -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.