Collet Systems

Hi

I was wondering which is the most popular collet system for R8?

I`m just getting into home workshop and would be interested to know which sytem to go for.

I`ve seen ER32, ER25 and the posilock type systems as well as individual collets advertised.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey

If you are starting off with no legacy issues go for the ER32's. They go from 2mm [80 thou] to 20mm [3/4"+] with no gaps.

ER25 are good but less capacity, 16mm or 5/8" I think

Posilocks rely on threaded cutters so you are faced with less of a choice and will be more so in the future.

There are ER chucks for mills and lathes so they are interchangeable.

Speaking to some of the importers there are also plans to extend the range of attachments that ER32's will fit

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Agreed, if you're only buying one chuck the ER type is the one to go for. Be aware that they are less secure than the Posilock/Autolock type, if you're taking heavy cuts there is a risk of the cutter pulling down in the chuck. There are ball bearing and other low friction 'milling nuts' available for ER32, which are supposed to enable you to get the collet gripping tigher, might be worth considering.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Thanks for the advice - The ER system looks like the one to go for!

I know that chronos supply the ER stuff at reasonable prices - any other retailers who might be worth a look?

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey

Paul

A quick vote for the ER32 system by Vertex, I bought my set from Chronos but I have also seen them at RDG. They are superbly finished and work extremely well. I also have a couple of "un-named" ones that I bought individually from one of the major machine importers, although not quite so well finished they do work equally well. I have used the Vertex ones very extensively over the last two years, they are still unmarked and as accurate as I can measure.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Loose collets £19.50 from Chronos web site Set of 18 from RDG for £182.25

J&L are £7.50 each plus vat and a £4.00 delivery charge Chester have collets for £11.75 inc

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John

Is that J&L price one of their special offers on Toolmex (if so I need some) or is it their "value" range? I can't find any listed on their "new improved" web page other than at =A317.50 + VAT each. I might need to raid the piggy bank (again) if you have something I can quote to them to get that price.

Thanks

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Just to point out that Chronos currently have the 18-collet ER32 set at =A3155 inclusive of VAT and carriage, search for "SV313" at .

David

Reply to
mangled_us

F*#k the web page it's crap. No this is out the flyer they send out every month. Just dug it out and correction they are £7.70 this flyer.

What they do is put a special prefix before the normal number so a

11-10 mm collet is AIHHV-34545L looking in the book, web site should show this as a HHV-34545L

Be aware that all J&L prices are less VAT and they charge about £4.40 per delivery so it doesn't pay to get just one item unless you are desperate.

These will be their value range but to be honest I've been buying these for ages and had no problems.

I see from another post that Chronos have the set of 18 for £155. these will be better value for a set as the J&L range of 17 will cost just a bit more than this. Loose collects will work out cheaper from J&L.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John

Thanks for the information I'm sure their value range will be fine. I seem to have an irrational fear about the amount of "spring" required to hold some of the imperial sizes and so plan to get a spare set of the ones I use most for everyday use. I know they are designed for it but the "bang" that I get when releasing a =BC"drill is still unsettling and leaving them tight for any length of time must stress the steel, good as it is. I know it doesn't make sense really but at that price I can afford a little peace of mind.

Thanks for your help as usual

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I was patient... I waited for the rite lot on E-Bay.

I got a new set of 18 collets in a wooden tray for £ 55 + £ 8 P&P

That's £ 3.50 each and the tray for free !

Seller was cyclopspj; from the number of feedback's he was a dealer.

I have no problem with the quality, it seems to be fine, which is a pleasant surprise :-)

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Reply to
Graham B

ER32 collet sets are =A3152-75 from Axminster Tools inclusive of postage and VAT.

regards Graham

Reply to
Graham B

Not bad, but does that include the chuck, closer and wrench ?

David

Reply to
mangled_us

Dunno, so I clicked on the link and no they are just the 18 piece set.

Chuck is 64 quid extra.

I bought an R8 chuck on it's own from Chester at a Harrogate show. I reckon they charged me about 27 quid for this as a show offer.

Might be worth waiting, two shows coming up. Pickering, N York's 23, 24, 25 of this month or Fri, sat sun to the numerically impaired, and The Midlands one at TEE's place on the Fosse at Lemmington, this was the old Donington one.

Sets are nice but it's surprising what you don't use. You can get away with 4 collets to start with.

7-6 will hold 6mm and 1/4" 10-9 will hold 10mm and 3/8" 13-12 will hold 12mm and 1/2" 16-15 will hold 16mm and 5/8"

A 5-4 and a 3-2 will cover a lot of the newer solid carbide cutter available cheaply from many suppliers.