Bought from Discount Machine Shop?

I need some new MT2 collets for my Bridgeport M head.

An outfit named Discount machine Shop sells a set, but they aren't very pricey, which makes me know they're off-shore stuff.

If you've ever bought from them, let me know what you thought of their quality. I don't want collets with a lot of run-out, but I cannot seem to find an authentic Bridgeport set. (for which I'd gladly pay)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I bought stuff from them and was at their warehouse. Mostly it works as described. They are in St Charles, IL. I bought my milling vise from them and some R8 things.

Ignoramus12753

============== Take a look at those from the little machine shop. I got their collets and these work fine. Note that you may not need the set. End mills [in the US are standard 3/8 and 1/2 shanks with the odd

1/4 ]

Changing tools with a MT collet is a bit of a pain in that you have to unseat the collet to get it to release. Consider an ER collet adapter. The problem is that these use up some space from the spindle to the table.

2MT collet sets click on
individual 2MT collets
?ProductID=1749&category=
2MT=>ER collet sets
you may not need/want the complete collet set Little Machine Shop's sister company HHIP.com sells just the adapter and individual collets
?ProductID=900-0005-061&p=2

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

What? You were 5 miles from me and didn't stop by? I would have loved to meet you after all the online chats about TIG welders and such!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Dumb me! Wrong St. Charles - it's more like 250 miles!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I would love to stop by actually.

Ignoramus12753

oops

Reply to
Ignoramus12753

Jon,

I have bought many items from them and they have never failed to have

100% accuracy on orders. They ship same day. I have had tech calls into them for bore gauges and got prompt, correct and polite service. They are not too far from myself and Iggy, If I went in there I'd be bankrupt! The catalog they offer is well stocked and a lot of China stuff but it works, they honor warranty items no hassles and it's not Starrett or Mitty. but for non .0005 tolerance work the stuff is a great deal, they don't rape you on shipping and I have never had a item backordered. I am really impressed with them. Shars stuff really is not too bad at all. E-bay is usually cheaper but you get K-Y with shipping from most sellers. This place is truly legit. I have no affiliation with them. Just a satisfied customer (and I can be a dick when I get jerked around by a vendor)

Respects,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Fraser

Decent quality for the price, shipping seems honest

Reply to
peter divergilio

Well, if you are coming near St. Louis, like if you are driving

55 to I-70 or something, then I'd certainly enjoy your stopping by. I'm roughly 5 miles from that OTHER St. Charles, the one in MO. I've been following your many exploits, both engineering and "auctioneering". Every time I think my basement is full, an opportunity to get something incredible turns up, and I have to do a crash triage on all the accumulated goodies to make room. That happened this spring when I bought my pick and place machine, and had to get a 5' wide machine through a 3' door. Hmm, but now I have a door wide enough to fit a car through, if I should ever decide I wanted to. Like if I went totally nuts and decided to make an electric or hybrid with a tube-frame or something. Where would I find the time for such a project, though?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I know what you mean. My eBaying is partly for profit, but partly for fun also. Oops, just tripped over something...

Ignoramus705

F. George McDuffee fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That, it is. My reluctance to do that is chiefly because of the excessive length from the spindle bearing, which tends to diminish the already limited rigidity of the M head.

How's your experience with this type of setup taking reasonably deep cuts?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

============ Reasonably deep is a relative term especially for a #2MT spindle.

My experience is limited to an Emco Compact 10 with the milling attachment, for pictures of this click on

I retired the school was shutting down the machining program and I got it at a good price. also see
some additional views of the mill head.

My experience is that the head will move before you run into any problems with the end-mill or head. Even with a MT collet you still have a fair amount of overhang with a fly cutter.

Unless I need the extra space between the spindle and part, for example using a Silver & Dimming drill [1/2 shank] or a co-ax indicator [3/8 shank] I use the ER25 collet adapter.

Note that the #2MT collets go to a max 1/2 inch diameter while the ER25 adapters go to 5/8 inch. I have found that for everything I do, I only needed 3/16 [rarely], 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 ER25 collets, and only the 3/8 and 1/2 inch #2MT MT collets.

I also use the Weldon style #2MT end mill holders and these work well. Their length is between the #2MT collets and the ER25 adapter. You won't need both the Weldon style and ER25 holders. see

?ProductID=1705&category=set
The big cramp is that I have a 10m/m drawbar and a 3/8 drawbar. (actually long SHCSs) as the ER adapter is metric and the MT collets, Weldon style adapters and #2MT boring head shank are inch and you have to be careful not to use the wrong drawbar.

Hope this is of help.

If you are on a tight budget, I suggest first the MT collets, and then the Weldon style adapters. The ER collet setup is very nice, but far beyond the need of the typical home shop.

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

F. George McDuffee fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for all that. Hmmmm.... I could've sworn the ER adapter you pointed me to yesterday had 3/8-16 drawbar tapping. Gotta go back and look again.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:Xns99D44C177D3F1lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

It is 3/8-16... Did I miss something here?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

============ Indeed it is, but thats not the adapter I have. I got one that came with the Emco [made in Austria], which is metric and had the long metric SHCS [drawbar].

As a point of interest, Little Machine Shop has blank 2MT draw bar arbors for making up special tooling such as gear tooth cutters [like a fly cutter but the tool is at right angles to the adapter axis]. Eliminates most of the fiddely work.

click on

available in 3MT