Worden Tool & Cutter Grinder completed

Gentlefolk,

Back in November 2005, I posted a request for information on making the Worden Toll and Cutter Grinder from Hemingway Kits. At last, a mere 6 months later, it's finally completed (they say it _can_ be done in three weekends, but I'm a very slow worker...). I can't praise either the kit of the supplier too highly - it's a well thought-out design, and the kit contains everything you need; as for the supplier - my questions during construction were always answered courteously and promptly, and when I botched up the machining of a vital piece of aluminium they replaced it for free.

I've put a few pictures on my web-site at :-

or you can see the kit itself at :-

Reply to
Bob Unitt

Nicely made Bob, and I can add to the praise for Hemingway. Kirk is a real gentleman, and can't do enough to help when things don't go to plan.

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Very nice work! Thanks for showing it. The number of knobs is a bit confusing. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

In message , Bob Unitt writes

The screw traverse wasn't available when I made mine - looks to be a useful addition. Is the marking of the work table 'as supplied'? It looks to be deeper and therefor more easily read than mine.

I fitted a shallow drawer into the slot in the front. It holds dedicated Allen Keys, angle setting gauges and other small 'bits & bobs'.

One cosmetic refinement was to dig deep in the pocket and have the base and guard powder coated. I accepted any colour they had in a current batch and ended up an a pleasant enough light grey.

Reply to
Mike H

Glad to hear he is carrying on the tradition of Neil Hemingway. I visited Neil several times a few years ago to collect kits, and he was very helpful, a true gentleman. Don't know if he is still around, I hope so.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Beautifully made Bob, nice job (as our cousins across the pond have a habit of saying).

I have dealt with Hemingway on a few things and am very impressed with their helpful attitude.

I am considering building a Worden but I am also considering adding an ER32 collet chuck to the tool holder to alleviate the tedium of making dozens of collets (I happen to have a spare chuck). It looks like it is possible and Hemingway suggested that they would be happy to supply the additional material required (which I thought was very nice of them). Having established that it is possible to add the collet chuck, I came to thinking about the possibility of adding bearings such that the chuck can turn, thereby enabling end-mill flutes to be ground. I have yet to work out the details of this but on the face of it, it is probably not too hard (I suspect that either the tool holder would need to be totally redesigned or a separate tool-holder would be required.

Overall, I'd like the flexibility of a Quorn but really don't want to spend a lifetime building the thing, so a modified Worden seems to be a reasonable compromise.

As you have built one, I'd certainly be interested to know whether you think my modifications are a realistic option or not.

Regards

Mark

Mark_Howard

Nice work - thanks for sharing it with us.

I too would like to publicly recommend Hemingway Kits. Exceptionall helpful and approachable.

Cheers, M

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

I have already downloaded their catalog some weeks ago. Seems I want some kits from them. Their castings are really reasonably prized.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

They will be at the Harrogate show this coming weekend, 5th, 6th and

7th.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

In article , Mike H writes

I'm not sure what I'd use it for - I just thought it would be easier to include it in the initial construction, rather than trying to retrofit it to a used machine later.

That may be an optical illusion - I filled the markings with black indelible ink to make them more visible.

I thought about that too, but decided to make it a small cabinet to sit on instead, big enough to hold fixtures, spare grinding wheels etc. (now awaiting the relevant round tuit, of course...)

I haven't decided if I'm going to paint mine yet - I'm not sure it's necessary, given that the thing will live in a nice dry workshop (lucky me!) normally.

Reply to
Bob Unitt

In article , Mark_Howard writes

Thank you.

I don't see why it shouldn't work - once everything is clamped-down, the structure is rigid enough; however, I doubt the existing workholder could be adapted to do the job - a separate tool-holder specifically designed for the task would be better, I think.

Exactly my own reasoning when I chose the Worden...

See above - but if you're anywhere near Hereford you're welcome to come and have a look at it in detail.

Reply to
Bob Unitt

You obviously haven't seen a Quorn, then :-)

Reply to
Bob Unitt

Just pictures. And I have been thinking about building one too. But before, I'd like to see one in use or have a good explanation what it _really_ can do. I didn't find that until now.

No, Harrogate is not an option for me. I come from Munich. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

You want handles?!

Check it out:

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

I think you should definately give it a quick coat of something, otherwise it'll rust if you as much as sneeze on it -even in a dry workshop. It would be a shame to spoil such a well built bit of kit

-and you'll want it to last a lifetime now.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Thanks Bob, that is kind of you. I don't often (almost never) make my way to the other side of the Country so I doubt I would be able to take up your kind offer, but I'll bare it in mind just in case.

Mark

Mark_Howard