Flange mount motors.. Where to get?

I'm in the need of a 1hp 4 pole three phase flange mount motor.

I see that a fair number of people do foot mount motors for reasonable (skinflint tight) prices, but flange mount is a bit less common. Does anyone know of a cheap source of same or can I hang a foot mount motor from its end-bell mounting holes.

The original is a mid 60's to mid 70's English Electric and appears to have mounting screws on either a 5 1/2" or 140mm PCD and a 3/4" or 19mm shaft.

I'm assuming that it isn't economic to get such motors rewound (this one goes pop when a decent voltage is applied).

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Ok so looking in my crystal balls [ must get these trousers mended ] a 19 mm shaft means it's an 80 frame motor. To the unwashed this means it's 80mm from it's base [ or a good guess where it's base is if it had one ] to the centre of the spindle. BUT modern motors of this ilk with a large flange, B5, and thru holes on the outside will be 165mm PCD and the smaller flange, B14 spec, will be M6 tapped holes on a 100 PCD

All available off the shelf as the ends are interchangeable and you can get foot and flange mount motors. You can even get foot and different flanges on either end of the motor if you have to fit brake units or suchlike.

So you are looking for an 3 phase 80 frame 4 pole B5 or B14 mount. .

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

outside will

Working in parallel, I had just about come to that conclusion. I'll have to modify the mounting plate that the flange is bolted to, but there's quite a lot of casting to play with there. I need to take it all apart to decide whether I need to be thinking in inches or millythingies, then I need to find a supplier of insanely cheap flange or face mount motors.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

In the US, they are commonly used on pumps for wells or swimming pools.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Mark

I've got a 4 pole, 3 phase, dual voltage, 19mm shaft (might be 3/4") flange mounting motor that you're welcome to have. It's only 3/4 HP though (if that matters much).The flange is oversize at 8.5" OD with 4 holes on a 6.5" PCD. The inner locating ridge on the flange is 130mm diameter so it should machine up to fit your need OK.

I can email you a photo if you need one. Getting it to you is the only problem although I am due to visit Mr Forbes on Friday morning if he is a useful (and willing) staging post.

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

ote:

mm shaft means

re it's base is

on the outside will

you have to fit

If you get stuck, it is sometimes possible to adapt foot mounted motors to flange mount by bolting a plate to the front of the motor. Some motors have precast pads on the motor bell which can be skimmed, drilled and tapped to do this. If you like, I'll have a dig round in the inventory and take pics of any I find that are like this. It's not much of a solution, but it might get you going again... Cheers, Scruff.

Reply to
scruffybugger

Reply to
campingstoveman

In a big hole in a back garden somewhere with a yellow mini digger

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

The hole in the back garden is in Rugby, CV22 7ES!

Mark Rand (in said hole) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That might be just the ticket. The motor is for driving the hydraulic pumps on the grinder, so if 3/4HP is not enough (unlikely) I can just wind down the pressure on the relief valves a bit.

I've just measured the original and it is definitely 3/4" shaft. But the difference between 3/4" and 19mm is less than a thou on radius, so a smear of loctite will take that up.

If Mr Forbes were willing to give it a home for a few hours I could trot over and pick it up at a convenient time for him.

Thanks lots.

Mark Rand (using up favours like they were going out of fashion) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

If peter Forbes cant do it I can and Charles has been to mine before, I live east of Bedford and travel with my job as lot so may be able to deliver.

Reply to
campingstoveman

We are only about 5 weeks away from the Harrogate show. I'll be going up and staying over for the whole of the show so if anyone wants anything ferrying up there should be plenty of truck space.

Same applies for coming back down.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

OK,I'll bung it in the car and drop it off with Peter Forbes unless he warns otherwise.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

On or around Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:48:34 +0000, Mark Rand enlightened us thusly:

I got the replacement motor for the lathe from one of the types selling 'em on eBay.

however, they don't seem to have flange mounts. there's another chap, sells as sem4motors, ISTR.

Worth an ask - they might have 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles