Motor Identification

I'm trying to identify and hence replace the bed elevating motor from an EPCO 60 ton press that I am rebuilding. It's 3 phase 1425 rpm flange mounting with 4 holes in the flange in a 4" square pattern.(though the flange is circular) It bears a plate saying B56Z FB234 ISO739 ED3128. 380/ 440v at 2 amps. I assume this is a nominal 1 HP ???

Do any of those numbers specify a frame size? The ISO739 bit confuses me as that ISO number seems to refer to sodium carbonate!!

Rewinding is not an option as the press was in a fire and the motor casing has melted!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'll think you'll find that B56 is the frame, see here

for some dimensions.

Reply to
David Billington

Not too sure about this?

A 56 frame means the shaft centre is 56mm above the mounting feet (if fitted). This is going to mean a body diameter of 100mm or threabouts.

B5 is often used to represent flange mounting and B3 is a foot mount, a motor with both is B35 Applying this to B56 now confuses me as I have not come across a meaning for B6!

If this motor is around 1HP then I would expect a 71 or 80 frame size mounting holes on a B5 frame 71 motor are on a 130mm PCD and 80 frame on a 165 PCD which does not line up with your 4" square (=145 mm PCD)

A good site for getting the key dimensions of motors and pretty good pricing is here

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Not sure myself but I have seen that B56 designation before. The 4" square may not marry up quite right as I got 3.960" between centres, although the site I linked wasn't that clear on the PCD dimension, but that's quite close if you've just put a rule against it for a quick gander. I expect more measurements of the poor molten remains may show up the details. It can't be too bad as the name plate must still be legible.

Reply to
David Billington

Interesting David!

Your link (now working for me whereas it was not earlier) is obviously using a different frame numbering system to the one I know that directly relates to the height of the shaft above the mounting plane.

Just when I thought I was beginning to understand .........

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

B56 is an imperial framed motor.

John S.

Reply to
John S

dimensions.

threabouts.

The motors look a bit like a Salvador Dahli painting, slumped short and squat with the through bolts sticking up.In reality it's probably not that critical. This motor drives a chain through 2:1 sprocket set that rotates four 1.5" diameter 'lead screws' that raise and lower the cross beam of the press. As the coupling to the sprockets is fried I'm going to have to re-engineer that, and if I have to re-drill the mounting plate isn't the end of the world.

Next issue is the hydraulic pump. Motor driven (again melted!!) I had to air chisel the remains to get at mounting bolts - yet to get the pump itself out of the reservoir to see what it was. Not much chance of it being any good..

What sort of hydraulic pump generates 700 bar /10,000 psi? I understood that gear pumps run out of steam at about 200 bar

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Just for the sake of being a pedant, I make 440V, 2A 3ph near enough

2HP, not 1

Richard

Reply to
Richard Shute

A swash plate pump or radial piston pump(not used much these days) will do that; positive displacement is the name of the game. I see Enerpac or similar powerpacks on ebay occasionally. A more off the wall source would be a ship breakers, but we don't have many left. Woods of Crediton might have something.

Reply to
penfold