Blackstone Identification

Help is need to identify the model of a Blackstone Engine. The engine was manufactured in 1926. It has a serial number of 159888. I have been told it is an AV type. It has a typical AV mushroom Air intake. The instruction book that came with the engine is for a W type. However the drawings in the operating & instruction manual do not look like the engine. The main difference being the location of the fuel pump which is adjacent to the side shaft bearing and the mushroom air intake assembly. The engine is fitted with a scroll inspirator The cylinder has the letter L between the cooling water outlet and the air intake assembly.

I would like to know what colours the engine would have been painted & what pin

striping would have been on the engine.

John W

Greenhill

South Australia

Reply to
John W

"Help is need to identify the model of a Blackstone Engine. The engine was manufactured in 1926. It has a serial number of 159888. I'm told it's an AV, & has a mushroom air filter"

------------

John -- this may be a modified duplicate of a message which has disappeared from the screen! So, start again JIC.....

I have a 12.5hp Model B SFC. That's 148655, built 1920, & that has mustroom air filter -- or should have, as that's one of the missing items.

The mushroom air intake was used on many Blackstone models from the mid teens onwards, so that narrows the field but not a lot! Must confess I don't know what a scroll inspirator is......

Give us some clues, & ideally a piccie. What's the HP and/or bore? What size are the flywheels? Most important, what fuel does it burn -- fuel-oil or kero? Does the manufacturers plate say Carters Patent or Spring Injection? Lamp start? Does it have the air pipe running above the cylinder typical of many Blackstones?

Have you contacted MichaelStamford at aol.com? His web site (try Google) gives a potted history on Blackstone models, & he has some original factory records. He also sells repro literature. He's just sent me a manual for Model ACG/ABC/ABP fuel oil engines.

I've checked my literature as follows :-

1906 Instructions for Blackstone Type W oil engines 1912 Blackstone Oil Engine catalogue 1920 Blackstone Oil Engine catalogue 1920 Instructions for working horizontal cold start kero engines 1923 Instructions for fuel oil engines 1925(?) Instructions & Parts List for Spring Injection oil engines

None of those list the AV, 'tho they list a bewildering range of model designations. I'm afraid Blackstone designations require research worthy of a Ph.D. The 1912 catalogue does list AW & AWC as standard oil engines.

Patrick Livingstone in Oz has many pix of local Blackstones. Most make me green with envy. other than the most amazingly painted SFC Portable at a recent Nationals. Purple & puce, or similar ........ Might be work contacting him for local expertise. I'm sure you have more Blackstones out there than we have in Blighty.

------------

"I would like to know what colours the engine would have been painted & what pin striping would have been on the engine."

Leicester Museum have a Model A SFC fixed base engine (the type with the air compressor cylinder attached -- as is mine). It is well painted in authentic colours & lining, in the style used by all Blackstone horizontals of the period. I have a many detail pix of this engine, & could send you a CD.

Mine is in an indelicate rust colour, with almost no trace of the original colouring. Blackstone colours have been matched to current BSI paint numbers. Can supply those references.

Contact me off-list (gwbert at email.com) if you think I might be able to help. If you include a pic or two, that would be good.

Colin Osborne

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Colin Osborne

John --

Just remembered the following reference to a museum on your patch that claims to have the most complete Blackstone collection in the world. I would hope they have some colour pix.

Would be grateful for more info on this collection, eg Do they have an SFC portable? Is it worth burning up my air miles to come over for a look!

Colin

Jill And Vic Fauser's Private Museum Come along and see the history of our country, from period costumes to communication devices and literature from days of the past. The display includes numerous stationary oil and petrol engines, a blacksmith shop, shell collection, rocks and bottles, cooking pots, coal irons and dolls household appliances. We also have a restored 1883 H.P Marshall portable steam engine, a 1928 Dodge Tourer, vintage motorbikes and a kerosene-lit hand operated film and slide projector. See the only complete Blackstone stationary engine collection in the world. Directions The township of Port Neill is six hundred kilometres from Adelaide on the Highway 1 to Port Lincoln, turn off to the town, three kilometres to musuem on the Esplanade opposite the caravan park. Contact Details Address: Opposite Caravan Park Port Neill, SA, 5604 Other Contacts Ms Jill Fauser Mobile phone: 0428 889 041 Telephone: 08 8688 9067

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Colin Osborne

Michael's contact details are on the 'contact' page of the site

Peter

Peter A Forbes