Strewth!

Maybe I don't appreciate how much some small pieces of iron are worth.

this really worth this sort of money?

Regards,

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

60&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:ITter

Arthur, Don't wish to gloat but that is a n air cooled Carrette Gas engine of which I have the water cooled version.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I agree that it isn't a flame gulper but it looks to me to be a flame ignition gas engine with the ignition flame sucked in an open port on the side as the piston starts to descend. The problem with these is they were designed to run on town gas & will not run on any other gas. I sold mine about 12 years ago. (I wish I hadn't seeing modern prices)

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Dave, You say it runs only on town gas. I take it the town gas you refer to is not what people use now.

If I'd bought this (admittedly handsome) eng> > > Maybe I don't appreciate how much some small pieces of iron are worth. > >

> > 60&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:ITter

ignition gas engine

starts to descend.

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Yes, you could run it, but you'd have to use bottled hydrogen gas. Natural gas or LPG are no use, as Dave correctly says. Same goes for carrier flame ignition engines, the ignition burner has to use hydrogen even if the main fuel supply is LPG.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
Philip THornton-Evison

Hi Arthur, This one is a little different to the one I owned but it does seem to have the ignition flame on the side of the cylinder like the one I owned. I (& others) tried for years to get it to run but the ignition flame was always sucked out. We tried various gasses but couldn't get the coal gas it was designed to run on.

-- Dave Croft Warr> > > > Maybe I don't appreciate how much some small pieces of iron are worth. > > >

Reply to
Dave Croft

Thank you for that interesting insight, Philip.

There's more to these little devils than meets my eye.

Makes the "recalcitrant blowlamp" problems of the Petter S seem quite trivial!

Now, where can Martin buy some hydrogen :-)

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Hi Arthur, I have posted a picture of an article about the engine I owned. I can't find the actual picture I took.

Dave Croft

I should have said that town gas was a mixture of mainly hydrogen and carbon monoxide :-)

Why, from BOC Industrial Gases of course, but I don't think its cheap!

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
Philip THornton-Evison

Gentlemen, mine is fitted with a hot tube which is heated by a miniature bunson burner, surely if I restricted the flow of LPG it should work like the bigger gas engines that now run on LPG ?

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Hi Martin, Hot tube ignition is a totaly new ball game! The engines I am talking about draw gas into the cylinder as the piston starts to descend until it passes a hole in the side. It then sucks the flame in, lighting the gas & the explosion completes the stroke.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Sound of hobby horse entering stage left.... Please chaps lets have some snipping please. This thread started at 1kb and is now 4kb per item. thanks Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Sorry Roland, Just name and shame me, it is I, I do it all the time, wrist slapped, I'll try and remember :-((

Martin P

Bugger I've just done it again :-))

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I remember reading that the inverted Crossley at the Anson is ignited with expensive hydrogen, but actually runs on LPG.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn