Don't buy an Amanco without a mag!

In the early days of my engine interest, a friend warned me off an Amanco without its magneto.

It was good advice.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Good Advice Arthur -Could the Same go for most engines !

John D

Reply to
jdungan100

Well that depends really on what mag they should have?If its only a common mag, say a Wico A Series or a Lucas breadloaf, then they are relativley cheap and easy to get hold off. But with the older engines, mag's tend to be more difficult to i find. Allthough i have managed to find a nice bosch type 22 flick mag for my

1916 Lister J for under £100 (which i thought was pretty reasonable).

Incidently, my brother has an amanco which is missing its mag. He is simply converting it to battery and coil ignition, partly because of the price of mag and partly because the mag braacket as being smashed and poorly repaired.

It must also be remebered that spares on ebay often bring 2 or 3 times as much as they do on the rally field or at auctions etc.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

mag, say a Wico A Series or a Lucas breadloaf, then

engines, mag's tend to be more difficult to i

1916 Lister J for under £100 (which i thought was

converting it to battery and coil ignition, partly

smashed and poorly repaired.

as they do on the rally field or at auctions etc.

About 15 years ago I sold a complete 3 HP Amanco (With working Mag) that had a leak between the cylinder & hopper. The farmer had stored fertilizer in bags over the engine & leaks caused the corrosion. It needed sleeving & I didn't fancy the job. I sold the lot for the price (Those days) of the magneto. I think about £70. PS I haven't seen it again anywhere.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Only the other day my Mrs was complaining about the rubbish in the top of the airing cupboard, she's looking at it in a different light now. One of the mags in there is a 2 bolt fixing Amanco which was given to me by retiring agricultural engineer a couple of years ago, just need a engine at the right price to put it on.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Swindell

Amanco engines use an Amanco mag, strangely enough. They are about as hard to find as rocking horse dung because they are made of such a lousy material, and have often failed long before the engine. Webster Tripolars are similarly horrible constructions, but a little more easy to find and not as expensive.

Obviously Lister RS1, SR1 and Wico A mags are much more easily available, but they look a real b*gger on an Amanco :-).

I'm quite well aware of the mark up on eBay, the point of my post was to bring that information with others, as I've often seen people unloading their magneto free Amancos for relatively high prices.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

That is a frightener Arthur. I'd certainly consider battery and coil, or even an HT conversion rather than pay that sort of money.

Reply to
Nick H

I fully appreciate the fact that having the right magneto is as important as having the right carb, but I came across an interesting sign at a rally which I paraphrase here.

"This engine has been deliberately fitted with a modern impulse magneto. This allows me to start the engine & exhibit it rather than having to leave it in the shed with the correct magneto fitted. As age progresses, I find I am no longer able to spin the engine over fast enough to make it fire with the standard magneto."

In actual fact, the mag was mostly concealed by a sheet steel shield - also a later fitting - and even ole' eagle-eye here might well have missed the modification.

I submit that he had a valid point.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"philipte" wrote (snip)

Who are you kidding ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

Anorak mode *ON*

When I was in the USA a few years back, I saw some Amanco's, or Uniteds as they are called over there, fitted with Webster Tripoars, on a proper mounting bracket. ISTR these were sold in Canada?, and never came to the UK. The early bronze Amanco mags. are fine, its the later pot metal ones that gradually disintegrate. Of course, in the USA it was possible to by these engines sans magneto, and use battery and coil ignition....magnetos cost extra!

Anorak mode *OFF*

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

Oh, and ISTR the engines we know a Amanco in UK were sold as Associated in USA (often with battery and coil ignition as you point out). United engines were built by the same Co. but marketed separately.

Nick H (Uber Anorak!)

Reply to
Nick H

I recall seeing a contemporary advert for Amancos that listed the engine as approx 25 dollars and the magneto ignition as a 10 dollar optional extra - so allowing for inflation that price as a proportion is about right!

My Hired Man has been on a fluorescent light choke and battery for years - and I consider it to be representative of a lot of American engines of the period.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden