And I thought it might sell cheap

Went well for an item in a bin bag I thought :-)

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Two-stroke semi. Quite pretty too albeit badly dressed :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Mine, all mine (fingers crossed there's nothing fundamental wrong!)

Anyone got an empty vehicle going from Suffolk to Cheshire?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

See

Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Tim When you get it could we have some sans bin-bag pics and a technical run down please. It looks very interesting. Empty cheese lorry ? :-) regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

------------------------------------------------------------------ This may be of interest

Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H

If your Norwegian :-) Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

12 horses, was a runner, like some one said a while back be nice hooked up to a decent sized alternator...

It's the sort of thing that I wouldn't mind but I don't think SWMBO'd would take to kindly to faffing about with a semi-diesel when the power goes out and I'm away. Wheeling out a modern "honda set" with pull start could be pushing it...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Interesting lump Tim,

I mistakenly assumed it was of Saab manufacture, but spelt wrong.

If I could have seen the detail, I might have had the guts to bid on it. I second Roland's request for pics and details.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

second Roland's request for pics and

I'll see what I can do - haven't got round to mastering uploading pics to my web space yet (Only had it available for 7 or 8 years )

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Agreed but if you've ever seen Paul start his genset at the internal fire museum it is an eye opener, a few minutes with the torch, induction stroke to get some air and vapour in and then one bounce backwards for the first firing stroke. His had such a lovely soft sound compared with a high pressure injection diesel.

I wonder what range of fuel the semi diesel will happily run on, the honda genset will be expensive petrol or lpg.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

---------------------------------- Naturligvis min venn.;-) Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

So you're the one who more than doubled the price in the last minute as I was entering my bid!!

Congratulations on your purchase - it's more than I would have paid just now as I don't have an immediate need for such an engine, nice as it is. But a hell of a lot less than the GBP12,000 being asked for the similar size Bolinder currently advertised in Waterways World!

Hope you'll have it running in a boat before too long.

David Mack

Reply to
David Mack

No, *I* didn't double the price - I just put in my max bid at the last moment, which happened to be higher than anyone else's. The underbidder had already put in the £400+, so you would have had to beat that anyway

I wouldn't have been surprised to see it go out of my range.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Of course, it won't have the appeal of a Bolinder for the historic narrow boat market, partly because Sabbs weren't fitted to working NB's, also it won't sound the same as it appears to have a (crude) 'proper' governor rather than the hit-and-miss of the Bolinders. Also £12K is outrageous, unless perhaps the vendors can *prove* that every component has been gone through & put into first class order. Should go nicely in a little tug, though. Don't yet know what I'll do with it, but if it works out OK it'll be tempting to build a boat for it. I haven't had my own boat for about 12 years, perhaps it's time I did again

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

All the museums have been noted, gently trying start interest in such things with the children (7 & 4) the youngest definately shows promise. He keeps wanting to go to the Tanfield Railway (standard guage), the local South Tynedale Railway (narrow gauge) isn't good enough for him...

It is a point as I have a large tank of 28sec heating oil available. Indeed it was wondering how well an engine designed for 35sec would run on 28sec that bought me into this group. Trouble is I like my engines to be a bit more than 1 or 2hp. Around 5kVA would be a decent sized standby genset so needs a 5 to 10hp engine.

I liked seeing the gensets at Droitwich transmitter, huge things, at least 12' high, straight 6 or 8, compressed air start, fing noisy with just one of them running. Can't remember much more about 'em though other than to keep the station on air at full power 3 of the sets would have to be running.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I remember the thread on UK.d-i-y.

The thing is I suspect these surface ignition, induced charge engines need a high cetane fuel, I suspect 28 sec is less than 35 sec. The lower the viscosity the in this series of fuels the more likely you need a spark.

AJH

Reply to
sylva