Semi Diesel

The last new semi diesel in Grimsby was fitted to the seine netter Harold John in 1975. The engine was a two cylinder Hundested typeHHSL. I have in front of me a copy of the test certificate which came with the engine, dated

17/11/1975 from which I quote: "Re: Max. Load Test of 2 Cylinder Engine, Type HHSL Specifications: 2 cylinder,2stroke diesel, normal top speed 315 rpm Bore: 420 mm Stroke: 450 mm Diameter of exhaust pipe 370 mm After a warming up period the engine was adjusted to 315 r.p.m.and maximum load. The result of the test was 300 hp at 315 revs. Fuel consumption: 181.0 grams per hp/hr During the entire test period the engine emitted no smoke After the test the engine was adjusted to an idle speed of 120 rpm for 30 minutes- no irregularities were discerned during this period" The weight of this engine is 11,500 kg The engine in my own boat is only a baby- 115 hp @ 340rpm and only 4,300kg-and was fitted in 1960.Spares are still available in Denmark Dave Fisher
Reply to
David Fisher

How about something a little bigger? Take a look at

David Mack

Reply to
David Mack

This page has better photos of the engine including a Petter generator, lovely stuff.

Regards,

Chris Kessell

Reply to
Chris