Importing Engine Parts

I am considering buying some parts for my Witte enigne
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumIDS3343245&photoID 15814640082931215&security=cOmmmL
from a company in America (hitnmiss.com), but am concerned about having to pay import duties. Has anyone imported parts before and has anybody had trouble with import duties?
Mike M
miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
I would say that it depends on what parts you are after. I have had various small packages sent over and never had a problem with customs and duties. Is there not something to do with the cost of the item ??? I have just recieved a new sumter mag base and set EK of coils etc without a problem. Cheers, MartinH

Daft though it seems, a parcel or packing crate will always attract the attention of HM Customs & Exercise and a paddy bag rarely does. I used to import spear heads and chain mail from India (yes, really!) & have some experience of this.
If at all possible, pack small, parts should always be marked "used" and "gift".Check the HMC&E website & see if an alternative category can be reasonably applied. For instance, (IIRC) a spear head described as "Replica of Antique" attracts 33% import duty & "Stage Prop" is 2.5%
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Diplomacy done, plates spun, fires fought, maidens eaten - well, three out of four ain't bad

Hi.. I have bought many spares from hit and miss and have never been charged import tax, if the item is marked as a gift the taxes do not apply. The guys (and gals) at hitnmiss are a very profesional bunch and are very good at what they do.
HTH
bob
I have used hit-n-mis in the past and never had any problem with and duty the stuff just comes well packed in a box regards Nick
--
Banbury
Oxon