Importing Engine Parts

I am considering buying some parts for my Witte enigne

from a company in America (hitnmiss.com), but am concerned about having to pay import duties. Has anyone imported parts before and has anybody had trouble with import duties?

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

martin hirst

Im only after importing a couple of fuel caps, an inlet valve, crankgaurd, spark plug and a couple of other small parts, so hopefully there shouldn't be a problem then.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Daft though it seems, a parcel or packing crate will always attract the attention of HM Customs & Exercise and a paddy bag rarely does. I used to import spear heads and chain mail from India (yes, really!) & have some experience of this.

If at all possible, pack small, parts should always be marked "used" and "gift".Check the HMC&E website & see if an alternative category can be reasonably applied. For instance, (IIRC) a spear head described as "Replica of Antique" attracts 33% import duty & "Stage Prop" is 2.5%

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Diplomacy done, plates spun, fires fought, maidens eaten - well, three out of four ain't bad

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi.. I have bought many spares from hit and miss and have never been charged import tax, if the item is marked as a gift the taxes do not apply. The guys (and gals) at hitnmiss are a very profesional bunch and are very good at what they do.

HTH

bob

Reply to
Bob

I have used hit-n-mis in the past and never had any problem with and duty the stuff just comes well packed in a box regards Nick

Reply to
nick