Bridgeport Clone Parts?

Any source, other than ebay, for vari-speed J head clone parts? Do the clone manufacturers also get ridiculous money for sheaves, etc.? I've tried google but without much luck.

Reply to
ATP

"ATP" wrote in news:5NEGd.10683$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.lga:

High Quality Tools

Marty Escarcega

Thanks, Marty. Their website seems to be having difficulties, I was able to find their product breakdowns at this link:

I found a headless Bridgeport I'd like to put one of my clone heads on. Unfortunately I'm missing the vari-disc and spring assembly that rides on the motor shaft. Converting to VFD speed control seems like a good option, but will still require a way to drive the belt on the motor side, which currently only has the one cone shaped side on it.

Reply to
ATP

"ATP" wrote in news:JePGd.15250$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.lga:

Just checked again and the website is working. Sounds like the part you might be after will be pricey.... Good luck! Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

could be my browser, although I get the same thing in IE- when you click on a product, you get:

"ODBC Error Code = 08001 (Unable to connect to data source)

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

"

WRT the part, I think you're right, something used/from ebay may be the only way to go. I might try machining a fixed pulley on that side, I guess if I get it close to the right diameter, I can adjust the tension with the adjustable speed setting. I don't want to spend more money putting together a Frankenmill than it would have cost me to buy a complete one.

Reply to
ATP

If you can come up with a simple way to adjust the center distance or install a tensioning idler, you might consider installing v-belt pulleys, or step pulleys, on both the motor and spindle. I've owned both step pulley and vari-speed mills with VFDs and prefer the step pulley setup. Much quieter and less trouble and plenty of speed range from the VFD without much belt switching. Regular v-belt drives are also more efficient than the vari-speed Reeves drives.

My 1HP step pulley BP spent most of the time set on 1000RPM. My current Supermax 3HP mill is almost always on 900 or 1800 RPM, and I could probably get away with just the 1800 RPM setting, giving a direct spindle speed readout on the VFD, if I put a cooling fan on the motor. The VFD is limited to 6 to 90 HZ, but I avoid running below perhaps 30Hz for long periods to avoid overheating the motor.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I like the step pulley idea. The shaft on the motor is pretty beat where the disc used to ride, so I'm not sure how well a replacement would work anyway.

Reply to
ATP

Reply to
Waynemak

One is available for $200, locally. Seems to be in reasonable shape, couple holes in the table. I have to verify that my head will fit. Is the knuckle the same on all of them?

Reply to
ATP

Can't say for sure if the it will fit but any I have seen look the same. My Millport is the same as my dads Bridgeport, the people at Millport told me they had sold psrts to bridgeport owners looking to save some $$, but they don't offer much now.

Are you going to sell the Nichols or Van Norman?

Reply to
Waynemak

I don't think I will part with the Van Norman. I have two Nichols millers so probably at least one has to go. I do too much buying and not enough selling.

Reply to
ATP

Reply to
Waynemak

Getting the shop in order is a priority for me as well. I want to install a vapor barrier, insulation and radiant heat in the slab. Pour a concrete patio/driveway outside of the shop so I can more efficiently move things around. Prioritize the "treasures" I've been accumulating, make some room to work. Don't know how much of that is going to happen in ten degree weather, though.

Reply to
ATP

Reply to
Waynemak

has replacement bridgeport parts availabl and they also sell Servo parts. It's a good, reputable company with th best prices that I've been able to find anywhere.

Good luck

-- ryan

Reply to
ryan