Trying to identify a mid 70s BR consist

Hi All,

In the mid-70s and early 80s I frequently journeyed down to London from Leicester on the train to stay with relatives. I want to model the intercity train of that period.

I am guessing that it was a Class 40 as I remember the long front 'bonnet' clearly and it was in full BR blue. The carriages were the Mk1 grey and blue.

I am sure this is easy for somebody more experianced than I but am I on the right track for that line in that period? What would I buy to model that, I notice there's a class 40 available from Bachmann 40169 and the coaches seem easily available from Dapol E12/E12. Am I on the right track?

Cheers.

Reply to
Gary Brown

"Gary Brown" wrote

It would be far more likely to be a class 45/1 'Peak' diesel see

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes, I would agree with John. I travelled frequently to London via the Midland main line ("The Best Way" rather than "The Premier Line") - if a Class 40 were seen (not very often) it was probably on a freight train. Express passenger services were almost exclusively either Peak Class 45 (with the ocasional Class 46) and/or Brush Class 47. Hope this helps, David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

That looks very close but I have it in mind that the train usually had the large white on black numbers on the front and something about that plain front end just doesn't look right. But then I am relying on the memory of an 8-12 year old boy so I could easily be wrong.

Reply to
Gary Brown

"Gary Brown" wrote

How about this one then?

Same class, just different front end.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

they would have had them... the one in the piccy is a facelift version (after the abandonment of headcodes displayed)

45's had 3 patterns, 2 groups of two on either side on the bonnet, two groups of two very close together in the centre and the last variant was one group of four in the centre
Reply to
unclewobbly

If you're talking about the headcode boxes, the 45s and 46s retained these until about 1977, though latterly they only showed a white circle in them Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Your very much in the wrong direction. The Midland division used mainly Mk2D (Dapol E12) or Mk1s (Bachmann make the best ones) and a class 45/1 (Bachmann also make this) or 47/4 (Heljan/Lima/ not very good Hornby and soon Bachmann). The Mk2D coaches were air braked with electric train heating. The Mk1s were vacuum braked with dual (steam/electric) heating. Hope this helps. Steve

Reply to
titans

Yep, that looks like the one now. Dirty, smokey and noisy as hell is how I remember them. I remember how the platform would shake as they pulled in to London Road station. We stopped making trips down by train when I was in my early teens; mum and dad discovered National Express coaches, but those memories have stayed with me for the last

30+ years!

Thanks to those that resp>

Reply to
Gary Brown