Bachmann announce Freightliner 70s.

Bachmann have just announced that they have secured exclusive rights to produce models of Freightliner's new Class 70 'Powerhaul' diesel locomotives. I assume initially these will be in N & OO-scales.

Further information when I have it.

John Turner,

53A Models, Hull.
Reply to
John Turner

This is Bachmann's actual Press Release:

PRESS RELEASE

Bachmann to produce new Freightliner Class 70 'Powerhaul' locomotives

Bachmann Europe Plc are delighted to announce they have been granted an exclusive licence to produce models of the exciting new Freightliner 'PowerHaul' class 70 locomotives. The announcement is made to coincide with the UK arrival of the first of these powerful new machines from the manufacturers, GE Transportation in the USA.

The new 75 Mph Co-Co 'PowerHaul' locomotives feature innovative designs such as Dynamic Braking and AC traction technology and will be utilised across all parts of the extensive Freightliner route network.

The first two of these 129 Tonne locomotives were unveiled to invited guests on the 8th November at Newport docks. Philippa Brooks, Freightliner Head of communications said that "Bachmann have a proven track record in producing high quality models of modern rolling stock. They already supply Freightliner models in N, OO and G scales, and we look forward to seeing the models of our newest addition to the Freightliner fleet"

David Haarhaus, Bachmann Europe Plc Sales and Marketing Manager said "We are delighted that Freightliner has given us the responsibility of reproducing their striking new 'PowerHaul' locomotive in model form. I feel this is in recognition of the constant progress that our Branchline OO and Graham Farish N scale ranges have achieved over the last 20 years. I would also like to thank both Freightliner and GE Transportation for their fantastic help in providing information, allowing the model engineering process to be already well under way"

'PowerHaul' models will be included in the 2010 Branchline and Graham Farish ranges. A very special, limited edition Branchline OO model of the class leader, 70 001 'POWERHAUL' will be available exclusively through

John Turner

Fiddle-sticks! When you/Bachmann said "Freightliner 70s" at first I though it meant that they were going to produce 70s era container flats and containers in the old 'Freightliner' liner with the BR double arrow...

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote

LOL - I'm obviously more updated in my thinking than you! ;-)

Anyway what brings you back on here? You've been conspicuous by your absence over the past few months.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

IMO the early 1970s, pre TOPS, is a much neglected era, thankfully (RTR wise) things are *slowly* changing.

: : Anyway what brings you back on here? You've been conspicuous by your : absence over the past few months. :

Doing other tings that took my time...

Reply to
Jerry

Yep second the wellcome back :-) Saw some coaches on WC line around Willseden area today in intercity blue - anyone know what theyre doing there ? First ride on a pendy thing - all flash and narrow seats that very difficult to sleep in cos too upright.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

: Saw some coaches on WC line around Willseden area today in intercity blue - : anyone know what theyre doing there ?

There seems to be a few rakes of coaches that are still in the basic BR Blue/Grey livery, judging from published (railpicture.net) photos, not sure if it's a charter livery or just the default livery of stock that never got leased to another TOC upon the break up of BR (ie. still 'owned' by who ever manage(d) such leasing) and now gets used to cover extra workings or stock shortages IYSWIM.

Reply to
Jerry

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Bachmann Europe have recently changed their loco packaging (for the worse in my opinion) into a similar style to the 4-CEP emu which I recently sent you. This comprises a clear plastic inner support for the model inside a relatively flimsy cardboard box finished off with a outer cardboard sleeve. I assume the class 70 will be packed in this way.

The downside to this new packaging is the amount of shop shelf space required to display these models (and for customers to store their purchases). I'm guessing each box takes up 20% more shelf space, meaning fewer models can be stored or displayed in any given area.

To compensate for this, we've now started removing the loco & plastic support from the outer card packaging and just displaying those on our shelves. Unfortunately this doesn't promote the Bachmann brand name or corporate image. Their loss I'm afraid, but it was either that, or completely re-fit our shop - something of a no-brainer!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

When I saw a photo of this thing, I thought it was a concept model - the sort of thing that's so ugly it'll never get built! I had to look twice to see that these things really do exist!

I know my modelling tastes tend to err towards the pre-grouping, light railway scene, but I do appreciate a lot of modern designs as well. Not this one though :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Revisit this is a dozen years' time, and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Paul Boyd" wrote

I have to say that I find the appearance of the class 70 to be 'refreshingly different'.

I'm not sure that the new version of Freightliner's livery flatters the loco, but I do like it. As they say, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

What fuss? Oh - just had a quick google, and it seems I'm not alone in thinking it looks a little, er, odd!

I dunno though - when the Class 66 was released, I thought "that'll be a classic loco in 25 years time". Not sure about the 70, but I guess I'll need to wait for a couple of decades to see who's right :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

: > When I saw a photo of this thing, I thought it was a concept model - : > the sort of thing that's so ugly it'll never get built! I had to look : > twice to see that these things really do exist! : >

: > I know my modelling tastes tend to err towards the pre-grouping, light : > railway scene, but I do appreciate a lot of modern designs as well. : > Not this one though :-) : : Revisit this is a dozen years' time, and you'll wonder what all the fuss : was about. :

Not so sure, to me the BR Class 58s still look 'strange', these look even stranger - sort of "How can we make a double cab railway locomotive look like a road (HGV) vehicle!

Reply to
Jerry

Well, Hornby modelled Bulleid's Q1, didn't they? It has to be the most ugly and ungainly thing on six wheels built in the 20th century, even if it was the most powerful.

Reply to
MartinS

Well, yes, I'm with you there!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

True it is ugly, but its one of those like certain dogs that are so ugly they go through the ugliness barrier to become beautiful in their own way. Its one of the few non LMS locos I have because of its looks.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Me too form follows function although there does seem to be much function to the front of the 70 for its looks. The BR Design panel would have fits with the timeless classics they influenced including the 52,

35, 47 and HST.

Chris

Chris

Reply to