Bachmann announce GWR City of Truro

Bachmann yesterday (4 December) announced a model of GWR 4-4-0 no 3440 City of Truro for the National Railway Museum.

David

Reply to
David Randles

That looks like a nice model. £145.00 - wonder how much they'll change hands for on eBay :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Apparently it's not a limited edition so it would be daft to buy one at at inflated price on Ebay anyway. Not that it'll stop some people from paying daft prices.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

For that sort of price I'd expect built-in sound.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The Gloucester Warwickshire Railway spokesman:

"We're pretty intimate with the engine but we hadn't noticed that one side doesn't quite match the other until it was pointed out by Bachmann when they came to take measurements"

I thought the different frame strengthening on each side was well known to anybody interested in the engine.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I'd expect it to be hand-delivered on a silver platter :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Well, the GBP is sinking fast. At current exchange rates, =A3145.00 is=20 about $253CAD. (A mere 18 months ago, it would have been about $320CAD.) =

If it's Spectrum-quality, $250CAD is about right. Mind you, I'd expect=20 the street price to be around $180-200CAD for a similar engine over here.=

If it's being made "for the NRM", then a goodish chunk of that price=20 will probably be a "donation" by Bachmann to the NRM. You supply the=20 cash, they get the tax credits. Sweet deal for all except you.

Still, I want one. ;-)

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

"David Randles" wrote

Doesn't excite me like the prototype 'Deltic' did; most definitely NOT on my 'must have' list.

Now if they'd modelled the NRM's 'Tommy' Woodhead electric!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'd like to see a model of this class, but few British layouts have catenary as it was not often present on the prototype.

Reply to
James Goode

Somebody did one way back when. There was also the Co-Co variant (Triang?)

My friends who had them didn't have the overhead which was probably just as well, ISTR that was pretty awful.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Dunno, "Truro" has //very// strong LN&E connections....

.. after all, they bought it and preserved it when the vandals of Swindon were going to cut it.

Hmmm: did they ever /run/ it?

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

I have seen the City of Truro running on the GWR.

Reply to
James Goode

: >> Now if they'd modelled the NRM's 'Tommy' Woodhead electric! : >

: >

: >I'd like to see a model of this class, but few British layouts have : >catenary as it was not often present on the prototype. : : Somebody did one way back when. There was also the Co-Co variant : (Triang?) : : My friends who had them didn't have the overhead which was probably : just as well, ISTR that was pretty awful.

Trix and Triang IIRC, and what is more, for what was then very much 'train-sets', Triang's rendition of the 15,000v DC catenary was a passable effort!

Reply to
Jerry

James Goode

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

Trix. Die-cast model scaled at approx 3.8mm/1ft.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"James Goode" wrote

It hasn't stopped Heljan announcing a class 86, whilst Hornby already produce 86, 87, 90 & 91 electrics.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Didn't Peco announce UK style catenary a year or so ago, did I just image it, have they scraped the idea or has it just got a long development lead time?

Reply to
Jerry

They ( Peco ) had some examples of the catenary at the Warley NEC exhibitionthis year. Simon G P.S I didnt have a close up inspection just a quick look, it looked fine to me

Reply to
simon g

Typo obviously but that would produce a good arc flash.

That would be the earlier version I take it,something I coveted but never got when receiving an EM2 as a childhood present.Vastly over scale but then it was designed to be played with and youngsters minds are not too bothered about such things provided the impression is ok. The later version was simplified into just straight bits of wire and did not look as good in my opinion.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

"Jerry" wrote

The initial announcement was for 'cosmetic' (non-working) catenary, but they later changed plans and are working on an operational system - hence the delay.

I don't have much details, but I doubt it will be appropriate for the 1500v DC system used on the Woodhead line.

John.

Reply to
John Turner