New Airfix Canberra

Haven't seen it mentioned here but Airfix showed a really nice 1/48 Canberra at the UK Nats in Telford. Also had a very nice 1/72 Nimrod.

Airfix plans to do four versions of the Canberra, probably for release in late 06.

The Classic Airframes version should be out in the first quarter (perhaps first HALF) of next year.

Got back to Texas yesterday from London and still suffering jet lag. It was a great show.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Why oh why do we wait for a 1/48 Canberra only to have two manufacturers compete against each other with near simultaneous releases?!? Perhaps Airfix should consider releasing theirs in 1/72!! (oh please do) Otherwise it is likely to turn into a contest of whose will be cheapest, which Airfix will likely win, or which will be more highly detailed, which is likely to go to CA. In any event there will be some redundancy and I, for one, hate to see the duplication of efforts.

Reply to
jwadetjpp

I read that Airfix modified their mold to make the B-57B kit, so they can't re-release it in 1/72

Reply to
frank

It's just one of those things that happen. The CA model will be out first and I have no idea how many versions Jules plans on. He did show me the clear parts (and they are very nice) as if to say "It's on the way!"

The flyer that Airfix circulated lists a B.2,& B.20; a B(1)8 & B(1)12; a PR.9, a B-57B, B-57E, and an RB-57G.

I suspect CA will take a number of early sales since their kit will be out first and it's an early version. I wish them both well. We modelers may have a great year.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

which recon version was the one with all the extra panels and wingspan? if i remember, in a side by side, the stretcher is almost double the span? that about right?

----- Original Message ----- From: "e" Subject: Re: New Airfix Canberra

Both the -57D and -57F had extended wingspans, the RB-57F / WB-57F being the larger.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

A similar situation *almost* occurred recently in the model railway world. In the UK both Bachmann and Hornby simultaneoulsy announced plans to produce a GWR Grange. Rather than competing, the companies put their heads together and came up with a solution. Bachmann were able to change their moulds to represent a GWR Hall, which was similar but not identical to the Grange. There was therefore no clash of products and everyone was happy - particularly modellers of the Great Western Railway!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

thanks. i remember seeing a conversion in one of the modeling rags in the early 70's. don't remember the kit or rag, wish i could find it because it was really good. maybe tom m can help here?

news.easynews.com!en206!core-easynews!newsfeed2.easynews.com!easynews.com!easy

"DB Models" did a very nice conversion kit, with resin and vac-form parts. The article to which you refer, may be the February 1993 edition of Fine Scale Modeler. I believe this dealt with the Italeri kit, and the DB conversion kit. Of course, these are 1/72nd scale.

I believe that in a generation past, Airmodel also did a conversion kit.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

thanks greg, but the article i mean was from the 70's. it was a total scratch build on the wings and the guy was a real master. i hope to find it.

Oh, be still my beating heart. After discussing the differences in my off shoot thread, and reading up, I belive I trully came down with a harder case of Gotta Build That, and that and that......

I applaud Airfix for cross ponding the variants! Now. Do I also wait for the aftermarket accessories and go for the RB-57F, or the WB version. Will it be USAF with the 58th WRS (from my hometown at Kirtland) or the still flying NASA livery? Oh, or the night attack RB-57B in black... I really should finish those other projects first.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

From what I hear, and assuming the same type of time slip as for the TSR2, the Canberra is unlikely to be here before 2007. This gives CA plenty of time to get their's out and sold, given their normal production runs.

David

Reply to
dnews

But then both Farish/Bachmann and Dapol have done 'N' guage Class

66s.... Remove nospam to reply!!
Reply to
Dave Fleming

Airfix Magazine did a series of articles about the Canberra and I think these are the ones you remember, if you like I can dig out the relevant magazines and scan them for you.

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor

That's true!

I'm just hoping that Bachmann and Hornby clash over a LNWR Claughton. Then one of them can change their minds and make an LYR Dreadnought instead! :o)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

There was an article in the February 1976 of Airfix Magazine showing the conversion of the Airfix kit to an RB-57F. Here are links to scans of the article (six pages in all):

They will be online for the next four weeks.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
davec0v

Airfix had both scale TSR2s on the table but the 1/48 version was still in an early form. Both looked really good. Can't remember what they said about release dates. (can't find my notes!!! #$%^)

That Nimrod in 1/72 was very nice as well.

Revell AG showed their big Antonov transport with both ends open. Also showed their Airbus 380 in Arab Emirates markings (the first operator).

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

I suspect the decal makers and resin casters will be having a field day.

BTW, I hear the Canberra will go for about $60 USD. Perhaps we should start a new savings account.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

The 1:48 scale TSR2 was the master for the 1:72 scale version - don't expect one soon in 1:48 !!!!!

Ken

Milt> Airfix had both scale TSR2s on the table but the 1/48 version was still in

Reply to
Ken Duffey

I think you may be after the series of articles written by the late Brian Philpot in Airfix Magazine in the late 1970s. Brian died quite a number of years ago but was, as you say, a real master. His articles are still worth reading today.

John

Reply to
falkirk1298