Announcements from Airfix

This article from Airfix.com written by Gary Bent, Airfix marketing manager :

"The annual Scale Modelworld event of the International Plastic Modellers Society (IPMS) got underway this morning at the International Centre in Telford and Airfix has made some big announcements about its

2006 programme. Star attractions are a 1:72 BAe Nimrod MR2P, which will be a limited edition scheduled for summer 06, and a 1:48 Canberra, scheduled for winter 06/07. Four separate variants of Canberra were confirmed - English Electric's B.2/B.20, B(I)8 and PR.9 and the Martin Baker B-57B.

Other highlights from 2006 revealed this morning are:

- Two Spitfire 70th Anniversary sets in 1:72 and 1:48 scale, including a kit modification to give a Mk Ia Spitfire in the 1:48 set.

- The much-requested return of the Britten Norman Islander

- A re-release of three classic 1:32 card - Ford Escort, Triumph Herald and Vauxhall Viva - in a box set

- A debut in Airfix for the Dragon Rapide

- A great year of warships as 1:400 scale debuts in Airfix: HMS King George V, HMS Hood, Scharnhorst or Gneisenau and Bismarck or Tirpitz kits

Already there's much excitement and anticipation at the International Centre surrounding these announcements, which have got the weekend off to a flying start. The full release programme for 2006 will be announced on airfix.com soon and the new Airfix catalogue will be available in shops from early January."

Reply to
falkirk1298

A Martin *Baker* B-57? I'd be interested to see that! ;-)

Now *that*... I would be *very* interested in! Don't care what scale...

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I imagine the Dragon Rapide will be the Heller kit in 1/72nd scale. It would be nice to have new decals for it.

Gord> > This article from Airfix.com written by Gary Bent, Airfix marketing > > manager :

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Hmm, Airfix 1/32nd car kits back! I'll have to grab a set so my MG 1100 isn't lonely around all these 1/25th models. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I am definately a customer for the Nimrod and one or two Canberras!!! I already have XTRA-Colors 'Hemp' here....for the Nimrod. :-) Can't wait Ingo

*time is an enemy*
Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

RESULT! I would prefer the Herald as a kit in it's own right, but I can live with the boxed set. Oh yeah, the other announcements are nice too, but I've waited a long time to get more Heralds. Cheers, Bill.

Bill Davies

A Nimrod! I've waited *years* for an injection moulded Nimrod! And Canberra's in 1/48, including PR9! Great joy.

Let's just hope that the gremlins that have struck the TSR2 shipment don't cause any more problems. Maybe we'll see a 1/48 TSR2, too.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

I suspect it won't take long for one (or more) of the after-market resin guys to do a B-57G conversion for the "B".

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I imagine that the parts breakdown of this kit would allow for separate forward fuselages. That would certainly cater for a B2 and a B(I)8. A bit of ingenuity in the placement of the component split, together with an additional fuselage section, would allow a PR3 or a PR7. However, a PR9 would be an almost entirely new kit. The only common parts would be the rear fuselage and possibly the undercarriage. Forward fuselage, wings, tailplane, engines... they were all totally different from anything that had gone before.

Mind you, decal companies such as Xtradecal and Model Alliance are going to have a field day! Just think of all those special schemes that they could produce! An RAE Meteorological Research Flight PR3 would look spectacular.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Not to mention the resin companies. Think of all the nose jobs one could give a Canberra!

Reply to
Jessie C

I think Airfix are proposing a B-57G themselves

John

Reply to
falkirk1298

What do you guys suppose will happen to Classic Airframes' plans to do a 1/48 Canberra?

Reply to
jwadetjpp