Airfix 1/72 TSR.2 ETA?

Any word on the release date? Most specific date I have seen is "autumn". Also anyone have suggestions for a good retailer on this one for shipping to the USA.

Reply to
jwadetjpp

HLJ.com said "we expect it on or about November 30." But they are located in Japan, but I think that's pretty much when.

//André

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
André

The best date we have is 9th December. Don't hold your breath for getting any shipped. There are only 16,000 being made. Hannants have sold ALL of their allocation. They are our wholesale suppliers and we have had an allocations from them which we have also sold completely.Tthere may be a few knocking around at release time due to credit card failures, etc. but don't bank on it - grin.

The what if decals are also nearly gone. Again we have sold out twice with all that we brought in.

I have just about managed to hold >HLJ.com said "we expect it on or about November 30." But they are located in

Reply to
dnews

I wonder about the limited number being made. Have Airfix decided that the market will only sustain 16000 of these kits? If so, it seems odd that they would produce the kit in the first place. Mould production has always been expensive and the costs are usually quoted as the reason that little-known prototypes are unlikely to be produced by the major manufacturers.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

in article snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 10/31/05 4:56 PM:

IHave a difinative, THE difinative answer.

It will be released when it is ready.

If released befor that everybody will be pissed off and grumble, if released after that Airfix will have unsold stock.

It will be released when ready.

Reply to
Rory Manton

And Airfix - with an apparent best-seller on their hands - will only produce a 'limited number' ?????

I think not....................

The ploy of announcing a restricted number of copies seems to be working, judging by the amount of pre-release publicity !!!!

Whilst it is not in my immediate area of interest - I would certainly purchase one, just for the historic interest.

But I ain't jumping on the bandwaggon - if there is one for sale in a year's time, I'll get one.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Duffey

The problem with this kit is that even if it is interesting it's just a kit of a prototype. That makes the marked limited to us really interested. To be honest, will you buy more than one? It's not like it's a F-4 kit that you buy five of at the time to make different configurations... But hopefully it is a test kit from Airfix, just to see if they can take some marked shares and hopefully be convinsed to start produce new kits for real again.

//André

"Ken Duffey" skrev i meddelandet news:dk8707$7ei$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
André

Oh yes, I'm up for two from my local friendly model shop, and that's to augment a Resitech 1/72 resin and a Contrail 1/48 vacform (that probably won't get finished now - it is quite - er - challenging)

No, but it is a kit of an aircraft that can bring strong feelings to the fore, even after all these years. Any finish other than prototype white is a what-if, but what's wrong with that? By encouraging the whiffers, Airfix may generate some new interest. I think the real test will be how well it does outside the UK - at home it has a unique status.

Well, I've heard speculation around 1/48 Canberra, Canberra PR9 and 1/72 Nimrod. But it's only speculation - from people in the hobby shop trade, though.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

TSR.2 is an interesting subject; especially with one of the 'what if' decal sheets, but the above would be REALLY good news! (and good old Airfix would be just the right company to make those) Ingo

*time is an enemy*
Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

Strong rumour has it that the Airfix accountants are playing it safe to avoid being landed with thousands of unsold kits. When the first batch sell out they will still have the moulds to produce a second/third/fourth batch anyway.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

Alan is right "I think the real test

I hope that it will be a hit and that airfix will be a big player again...

//André

"Alan Dicey" skrev i meddelandet news:4367e059$0$82655$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net...

Reply to
André

snipped-for-privacy@abieandre.com (André) wrote in :

With the What-if decal sheets, you can build about 14 different versions. Why limit yourself to replicating the real world?

If you need more ideas, visit us at the what-if modelers forum. Here are some of the discussions we've had on TSR.2 options:

Reply to
Harro de Jong