can anyone identify the myster plane?

The plane in question appears in the 1941 (summer) color release of "The Dive Bomber" Starring Errol Flynn (flight surgeon) Fred MadMurray (hot shot pilot who has NO time for flight surgeons, especially Errol Flynn) and Ralph Bellamy, the senior flight surgeon who runs the research and flight surgeon school. Errol Flynn is forced to ground a pilot (character name Tim Griffith) who suffers from burn-out, too many flying hours and physical decline. Griffith leaves the USN and starts flying for the RAF (Canadians) by flying "fairy service", that is, flying new airplanes from Los Angeles to Vancouver, Canada. Griffith shows up with a plane that I can't identify. It appears in Olive Drab paint, as opposed to the predominant yellow wing aircraft. The plane resembles a peashooter, but without the cowl-ring. Around the forward edge of the cowling, there are bumps that appear to be allowances made for parts of the radial engine, pushrods etc. There are supports (heavy cable?) that connect the wings to the fuselage. The cockpit is open with a headrest, but no canopy aside from a very small windscreen. We have ruled out, SNJ, BT, and Vindicators. If you like vindicators, here's your chance to see a bunch of them, back when they were plentiful and now there is only one. Good Luck, Good Hunting and thanks for helping identifying the mystery plane. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Apple

It is a Ryan PT-22 (or similar) made up with camo and a cowling to appear as if it has a radial engine. It does appear to fly in the movie, but in one shot the fin / rudder gap appears to be 2 inches!!

Hollis Wood at its best!

Reply to
Wildcat

Reply to
Don Stauffer

The plane in the movie is not powered by a radial. One of the most noticeable things about the plane in the movie is that the thrust line is not in the center of the cowl. It appears to me that they just added a cowl ring with some "power bulges" to inline engined PT-whatever.

Reply to
Wildcat

PT-22-Ryan

PT-23 Fairchild

PT-26 Fairchild

The Fairchild PTs were completely different aircraft from the Ryans. The Ryan in the movie was a STA, an in-line powered civilian aircraft with the fake cowling, etc.

AAHS Journal, Vol.47, #2 has photos and details.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Does anyone else suspect a Curtiss Shrike? That thrust line being off-center made me think of it.

I really hope that was 'ferry service'. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

See:

(Since my nomex is at the cleaners, I posted the pic in a.b.m.s)

Actor Regis Toomey in the cockpit of the RCAF fighter (Ryan STA, NC17305) at North Island Naval Air Station in 1941 during the making of Dive Bomber. (Walter M. Jefferies Collection).

Anxiously awaiting DVD release of this flick

Reply to
Wildcat