1/24 Airfix Spitfire Mk1A

Hello all,

I just bought this kit... was wondering if anyone knows of an online review or has built it. I found a good Trumpeter review, but it appears the Airfix kit is much older..

Thanks Mitch

Reply to
mitch

Mitch,

Airfix put out a series of books on building and super detailing/modifying their 1/24 scale kits back in the seventies, and the Spitfire book is pretty good.

It's titled Spitfire: Classic Aircraft No. 1 Their history and how to model them

Written by Roy Cross and Gerald Scarborough, it was published by Patrick Stephens, Ltd.

You might try to get it through Amazon.

Steve

Reply to
steve.l.new

Thanks for that..

Mitch

Reply to
mitch

Airfix's 1/24 Spitfire Mk.I dates all the way back to 1970. It was the first of Airfix's 1/24 scale WW II fighters and an instant classic when it first appeared.

Try these sites:

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

FWIW I'll second this recommendation. The book gives tips on building the kit, adding more detail, and modifying it to a tropical Spitfire or a Seafire. In my opinion these Airfix inspired books were some of the first reference material on superdetailing and are still excellent books. They did one on the 1/24 Spitfire, Hurricane, Bf-109, Mustang, and there was one for the 1/48 Mosquito and the 1/72 Lancaster. Marvelous books.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Heh... hardly glowing reviews especially the 2nd who put it in the closet half finished...;-)

Mitch

Reply to
mitch

Mitch,

Don't be put off by the crappy reviews... I've built a few of these over the years, including one which sat along with a Hurricane in our Sgts Mess for a Battle of Britain Ball.

A bit of patience and some basic modelling skills will go a long way, and the paint job and weathering should help cover some of the minor sins.

I'm "re-building" one right now as a PR bird for a pal who started it, but hasn't made a model since he was a kid!

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

I have this kit. I bought it because 1) I wanted a big Mk Ia; and 2) I wanted to try my hand at some more-than-casual scratchbuilding. I've gotten the wings mostly done thus far, boxing in the wheel wells with strip and sheet styrene. I set it aside at the cockpit, not being ready to tackle the scratchbuilding there. I built Trumpeter's 1/24 Mk Vb, borrowing the seat for that kit from my Mk Ia. Now I need a seat. But, I'm getting the itch to return to the Airfix kit.

I think it's a fun kit. The molds definitely show their age on mine; some short shots around the tail, etc. But, it's neat and I intend to finish it. Enjoy yours.

Peace,

Reply to
David E. Young

Try this one. Bit expensive though...