Airfix Spitfire 24 availability

Does anyone know if there are any plans to withdraw the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire
24 in the near future? What about the Seafire 47? Has that gone for good or
is it likely to be reintroduced?
I've recently had a Bf109G frenzy, which has given way to a Spitfire frenzy.
I'm currently quite fascinated by the Griffon engined Spits and I have plans
to build a selection. I have built the Academy Mk XIV and although it is a
nice kit, to my eyes it doesn't look quite right, with the fuselage being
too deep.
Here is where I might cause a bit of controvery! I have recently built
another Mk XIV by grafting the nose and tail from an Aeroclub conversion
fuselage onto a Hasegawa Mk VIII. That looks a *lot* better than the Academy
kit even with the mistake in the length of the Hasegawa fuselage. I have
noted that the Aeroclub fuselages are around the same price as a complete
Airfix Spit 24 kit, but they need a lot of work to bring them up to the
detail standard of the Airfix kit. So, for my next trick (don't try this at
home, kids) I intend to put an Airfix fuselage onto Hasegawa wings, hack the
tail around a bit and - hey presto - produce a Mk XVIII. Comments, anyone?
So... as I intend to build a number of Griffon engined variants in this
manner over the next year or so, would it be worth my while stocking up on
the Airfix kits or are they likely to stay available so that I can buy them
on a case by case basis?
Reply to
Enzo Matrix
Couldn't agree more Enzo - the Academy kit is well produced, but not much of a Spitfire. In my case, I decided many years ago for my occasional Spitfire assembly line, to standardise on the Airfix MkV fuselage/wings for all versions. Apart from being still the most accurate (Tamiya and Hasegawa look nice, but don't come close to it imho) it gives a consistent shape to the main structure for all versions, with changes to noses and tails added as required.
In my case I used resin copies of the Falcon XVIII to make the Griffon noses, and the Otaki MkVIII nose for the big 60/70 series Merlins. The Airfix 22/24 (and Seafire 47) Griffons look well in keeping with the Falcon renditions, whereas the Academy one - forget it. Somehow they almost made it look as bulky as that captured DB605 version in comparison.
If I was starting again today, I might use the Tamiya MkV as a base, using the Airfix Griffon nose for hi-back models (and I'd still use the Airfix MkV for the short Merlin noses). I have read somewhere that re-release is due - at least it should be cheaper than the special edition (Aeromaster?)put out a while back with the resin parts.
Chek
Reply to
Chek
[...]
FWIW I have heard one reviewer refer to it as a "Spitfire on Steroids"!
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey