Revell 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX / XVI

Anyone know the provenance of this impending 1/48 scale spitfire IX on the Revell Germany website?

04554 Supermarine SPITFIRE Mk.IX/XVI

It might be the Hasegawa Mk 9, but the parts count (130) seems a little high- the Hasegawa IX's seem to be 101 parts each (according to Hobby link Japan)

Nice 43 Sqn markings as well!

Look under "Product News"

regards,

Troffa.

Reply to
troffa wilson

Is it possible that it is the Hasegawa kit with an extra sprue to provide the cutdown fuselage for the XVI?

I realise that the *real* difference between a IX and a XVI was the Packard Merlin in the later model and that a number of XVIs had the ordinary fuselage. However most people associate a XVI with the bubbletop canopy. Making a point of stating that the kit is a "XVI" and then *not* suppling the bubbletop is going to leave a few disappointed people.

Any idea when it will be released in the UK? My planned Hasegawa XVI conversion is rapidly reaching the ehad of the queue...

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

According to Hannants it arrived on September 23rd, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

I suspect it's the Occidental kit, which offers parts for both versions, (along with a slightly suspect nose).

Reply to
Jessie C

It notes a choice of vertical tails but not canopies--consistant with a non-bubble Mk IX/XVI. Not as if there aren't a wealth of these with undesputable lines; the most famous of fighters seems tough to capture in plastic. I'd rather a perfect IX than a Frankenkit with choice of imperfectly modelled fuselages.

Reply to
tomcervo

There was a review recently (Cybermodeler, I think) that stated it is the Occidental kit with revised lines (especially the nose profile).

Cheers,

*J*
Reply to
jvenables

I'll Pass!

Bill Shuey

snipped-for-privacy@austarmetro.com.au wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I'll correct myself, as I just realised I've made an error. The article to which I refer was stating that the Italeri Spit IX/XVI is a re-issue of the Occiental kit, NOT the Revell kit.

Sorry for the misleading info.

James.

Reply to
jvenables

On the other hand, it warns me to steer clear of the Italeri kit, which I had been wondering about.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Let's hope AIrfix get it right!

Ian

Reply to
ianbw12

Well, it looks nice enough. I can see a problem already, however. The wing is clearly Type c, as it has the outer .303 guns. However the cannon covers are those of the Type e wing. Hopefully these will be optional parts - it certainly seems possible. I see that Airfix has provided seperate flaps and opened radiator flaps. The radiators are a good idea. The main flaps not so much. Spitfires were rarely parked with lowered flaps and if they were there was a very prominent flap indicator on the upper wing surface which seems to be missing. The front view shows that Airfix seem to have captured the washout on the wing quite nicely.

I'm also a little puzzled about the optional upper engine cowlings. Maybe Airfix intends to present the option of a MkIX converted from a MkVc, which had odd bulges on the cowling. In this case however, it would require the inclusion of a short air filter.

Nevertheless, I await this one with interest.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Their 2005 catalogue says about the Mk.IX...New parts added to Spitfire Mk Vc kit ( 05110 ) to make a completely new mould. Correct in size for a two staged Merlin engined Spitfire... what was the Vc kit like, I assume they're referring to the wing of it only??

Reply to
ianbw12