Best Wildcat in 1/72?

I'm looking for feedback on 1/72 Grumman Wildcat kits- I'm primarily interested in F4F-4 models.

I have the Academy kit-- it is inexpensive, but has no cockpit detail- just a seat and a globby pilot thing.

I have the Aoshima kit, and it also is pretty simple, with no cockpit to speak of. After looking at this one, I decided to build the Academy klit and sell this one.

I know Hasegawa made one, but I haven't seen it in stores fo r some time. I recently built their 1/72 SBD, and found it to be pretty good- it's bigest shortcoming ios no detail at all on the cockpit sidewalls. I'm guessing that the F4F similar.

I saw a DML (or was it dragon) kit in the latest squadron mailer- I don't know anything about that one.

I know that Airtfix and Revell both have old 1960s-era Wildcat kits-- I assume they are similar, with limited cockpit detail and lots of raised rivets....

Any others out there?

TIA,

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

Gimmicky folding wing inaccurate toy from the sixties.

The Academy kit is servicable but it should be recognized this is essentially a copy of the Frog kit. Both are reasonably accurate but not all that detailed.

The best kit is the Hasegawa. Their -3 version requires you to fill panel lines and shave a few bumps-minor conversion work.

The DML kit is the Hasegawa kit with a deck and folding wing conversion.

The Revell kit is ok if you like sanding rivets.

The Airfix kit has a few inaccuracies but is actually an FM-2 (the Eastern Motors built tall tail version.) Lots cheaper than the Sword or MPM kits of same. The MPM kit is the Academy kit with a conversion fuselage.

I think that's it?

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

The Hasegawa F4F-4 is the best 1:72 Wildcat put there. Put an Aires interior in it and you've got about the best F4F-4 in this scale you can get beyond scratchbuilding a bunch of stuff.

A tip: don't forget to put the lower windows in before joining the fuselage halves. I didn't and caused myself no end of headaches!

--Chris Bucholtz

Reply to
Chris Bucholtz

Hasegawa also did an FM-1 kit, which is probably virtually identical to the F4F, if you're having trouble finding the F4F.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I have built the Academy kit. The kit is rumored to be a copy of the FROG kit but has beautiful recessed panel lines. There is no cockpit detail. All you get is a hole. I also did not think something looked right with the wheels and used the wheels from the Revell kit.

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
M Bryant

Have you tried Micro Krystal Kleer? hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I built that,and even without a Frog to compare I thought as much.It even has a perfect copy of the Frog stand.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Hawk had one in their 29¢ series. No landing gear, no cockpit, no engine detail, also an FM-2 with rivets.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller