Trumpeter 1/32 Wildcat - Impressions.

Well, here I sit again...Trumpeter kit in one box, Revell kit in another...this time, it's the revised F4F-4 Wildcat from Trumpeter. To cut to the chase - Trumpeter wins, and wins BIG.

With the exceptions of Trumpeter's "usual" slightly too heavy treatment of the fabric surfaces, the kit is VERY similar to Tamiya's offering in

1/48 at first glance (if you've built the Tamiya kit, the similarities will be pretty obvious). Not a bad start...then there's the engine bay

- a very well detailed engine and engine bay including the engine mount, exhaust collector and stacks, seperate pushrods, oil tank, etc. An intercooler does seem to be missing, but would be easily scratch built.

The engine and engine bay seem to be where Trumpeter has provided the majority of additional detail (over and above the outline corrections) .0033..the cowl flaps also do not have the "toothy" appearance that the ones in the Corsair kit have - the cowl and flaps look great. The cowl in this kit is also clear, giving thee builder the option of painting it or not.

Although the instructions show a part with a full floor, the actual part is "semi open" and will be easily opened to repesent the real thing. This of course leaves the builder to fabricate the fuel cell located beneath the foot troughs, but again - not really a difficult bit of scratch building.

The etched hinges are there for all of the surfaces, though the installation of them is much simplified over the Corsair kit - simple through rods trapped by the plastic parts - and should work well. The wing fold is also operational and looks well engineered, though I'll probably drill out the joint and replace the plastic fold stud with a metal pin made from wire just to be sure.

The landing gear also appear to be well molded and sturdy; again, similar to the Tamiya offering in 1/48. Two under wing drop tanks are provided, as well as fully detailed gun bays with seperate cover plates in each wing, and a nice set of semi-hollow rubber tires.

Overall, I'm almost ready to say that the Wildcat kit is nicer than the Corsair one...very well done. I'll be looking forward to seeing how well the wing fold actually works. And I just noticed that that missing intercooler is included in the Eduard etch set for the Revell kit...yup..I'm moving all of my Wildcat aftermarket items into the Trumpeter box...

Keep 'em coming Trumpeter.

Reply to
Rufus

How would you compare the construction of the landing gear to the Revell kit? That was a mess.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

The part in the Trumpeter kit looks like an exact copy of the 1/48 Tamiya part - the legs and struts are molded in place down and locked on the center part, and there is a center keel, a single piece fore/aft bracing, and an additional front brace. Three parts in all, plus the wheels/tires.

This is one of the big places where the parts look like scaled up Tamiya parts. Look at the 1/48 Tamiya kit if you have one - the parts are identical except for scale. Should build into a very nice set of gear.

Reply to
Rufus

"Rufus" wrote

Good gawrsh, I would hope so. . . The Revell kit is only - what - 40 years old?

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

FWIW That Revell kit with an Eduard detail set still makes up into a very nice model with some effort. As to "all the rivets", ever look at a real Wildcat up close?? In 1/32 scale I would think they would show.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Actually, what I was trying to convey is that the Trumpeter Wildcat kit is an even superior improvement when compared to the Corsair kit. My immediate reaction upon looking at them both was/is to trash my Revell Wildcat...it wasn't that way when comparing the Corsair kits - the Revell Corsair still has points that wouldn't make me entirely rule out building it...even though I probably won't.

Reply to
Rufus

Bugger--have two of those in the stash, with resin engines and p/e.

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

No problem. Save em, buy two Trumpeter Wildcats, and use the stuf to further enhance the Trump Cat ;~)

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I'm seriously thinking of getting a second Trumpeter one and converting it into an FM-2 - all I should need to do is get the corecct engine from Engines and Things and scratch the rest. It looks like a good deal of the etch and stuff I bought for the Revell one will be useful on the Trumpeter.

After taking another look, I may have found another notable flaw - the windscreen seems a bit too vertical...I compared the canopies in the Revell and Trumpeter kits and the Revell one looks more "correct"; slightly more angled back. Not sure how noticable it will be on the finished model...if we're lucky Squadron will have a vac one out soon and with even more luck the profile will be better.

Reply to
Rufus

Well I do have a couple too, and a new Trumpeter, but I still intend to build them all, The Revell's may be a project with the kids one day or maybe just a simple quick one out of the box. It's still a decent to good kit - even if there's now a better one. If you dont want to build yous just send them to me - I'll give'm a good home ;^)

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

That's the plan. The Trump engine looks better than what I have in resin.

The Revell birds might get the gear up treatment. The last one I tried building gear down hit the wall. Cut up another one to install a resin engine, then lost the cowl I'd removed.

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH