Trumpeter 1/32 Swordfish - gonna be over engineered?

Trumpeter has a nasty habit of building too much into their kits - anyone have test shots, etc that might give this old casual modeler hope that it could be built in under 900 pieces? I am a firm believer of leaving out parts that no one will see.

Left out all the interior pieces of the Italeri 1/48 AC-47 Gunship - saved me over 50+ pieces!

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

...mo' pieces iz mo' betta!

Reply to
Rufus

hitting the half century mark in a month with less than 20/20 vision. I wish there were lots more of the cool 1970's Revell 1/32 kits with about 50 parts each. That was just perfect for me...

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

I'm sitting here with one eye dilated fighting an iritis attack...I'll hit my 1/2 century in November. Thank God for Trumpeter!

...where's my 1/32 P-61?

Reply to
Rufus

i would rather have a simpler kit i could detail myself. some of that stuff is just too much.

Reply to
someone

Simplicate and add lightness!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Kids today....

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Amen! Runs the costs up also.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Well I must confess to being somewhere inbetween. I love the older Revell kit, mainly they are cheep and I don't feel bad when cutting one up. Trumpeter has put out some really nice kit, but some things are contradictions. Why have a tail wheel and hook that can be made to move or fold, while the main gear is static and the wheel well doors too? Wingfolds that can be posed open or closed fine, but moving with a weak joint? Flaps thats almost impossible to fit with normal size hands, movable rudder, elevators and ailerons, but fixed lenght activators that fixex them in neutral position? This is just the F-4U Corsair. I love the kit, but would have wished for an option to position flying surfaces without having to cut. I have several more of theit kits, and it seems to me there's two different design departments, The Mig 3 and the P-40B are a lot simpler than many of the others and still good kits.

Actually the new Hasegawa series they partly share with Revell is fine with me, good shape, good fit and resonable details everywhere. And that at resonable prizes. The newer Revell kits like the He 162 and now the Ju 88 are just great, and the Ju 88 is great value for money.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

I admit when building a Trumpeter kit that gluing together five pieces to get a part they could have molded in one piece gets to me at times.

But then, I look at the detail in their castings- maybe they need to do it that way to get the great detail in their castings. I love Trumpeter kits, but they are certainly not novice projects.

Musicman59 wrote:

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Musicman59 wrote: snip

You can always get vision aids. When the fingers lose their touch, that is a more serious problem. Look at reading glasses at drug stores. I use them, plus I also have a ring light/magnifier, a big four incher. If I really need lots of magnification, I put the reading glasses on, and hold the part under the light/magnifier. I see it super big- and that is where I realize my manual dexterity cannot even use all that magnification.

BTW, my eyes each need different correction, but when you use high diopter reading glasses, the diopters tend to swamp out the individual differences. Try them at the store, first, however.EEy

Reply to
Don Stauffer

that has become a major concern. i love stringbags in all their guises, but when a kit is way over $100, and can easily take $200 in after market stuff, i'm lost in the flood. i equal $300 to a good running motorcycle i can do minimal clean and resto to and sell for $6-700. if i could sell kits on a break even basis just for actual cash spent, fine. otherwise it's a black hit of space in my wallet. i have tons of junk on ebay, mostly pc stuff, that works fine. even starting at 99 cents, stuff ain't moving. i got $36 for 2 old p1 laptops with a pile of accessories. and made $10 on shipping, by accident. i offered to refund the excess but the guy felt bad about the price. i did throw in some bonus goodies to compensate for his kindness, but damn.... if anyone wants to check my auctions for ram, tell me if i'm out of step..thanks. they are easy to spot or email me for the numbers.

Reply to
someone

what are you young'uns mumbling about?

Reply to
someone

that's a kit i want. but my sales will have to be better.

Reply to
someone

Gotta pay to play - go do your part to prop up the economy!

Reply to
Rufus

I like 'em both - can't say as I really have and preference for approach, but between the two all of the subjects I want appear to be getting covered.

...besides, I either buy cheap and drop loads on aftermarket, or buy rich and spend a bit less on aftermarket...either way, I end up spending about the same. Buy the time I get through grabbing what I want for my Revell Mig-29s, I'll have as much (if not more) in them than the cost of a Trumpeter Su-27. Times two...since I have both variants.

Reply to
Rufus

...go heavy, and add less nose-weight.

Reply to
Rufus

...I GOTTA get one of those Ju 88s, and the new DML 1/32 Bf 110.

I've got a project in mind to convert one of the He 126s into a 126D - the forward swept wing version...should be an easy and fun scratcher.

Reply to
Rufus

you mean a 162?

Reply to
someone

...yeah - I meant 162D...I need my left eye fixed...

Reply to
Rufus